Case of Cronkhite-Canada Syndrome
Cronkhite–Canada syndrome is a nonhereditary syndrome. It is characterized by cutaneous manifestations and gastrointestinal (GI) polyps. Patients may also present with diarrhea and weight loss. Early diagnosis of disease is important to avoid morbidity and mortality. Definitive treatment is not available for Cronkhite–Canada syndrome but supportive care and symptomatic treatment will improve the symptoms and increase the quality of life.
22 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Cronkhite Jr LW, Canada WJ. Generalized gastrointestinal polyposis; an unusual syndrome of polyposis, pigmentation, alopecia and onychotrophia. N Engl J Med 1955; 252 (24) 1011-1015
- 2 Ward EM, Wolfsen HC. Review article: the non-inherited gastrointestinal polyposis syndromes. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2002; 16 (03) 333-342
- 3 Goto A. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome: epidemiological study of 110 cases reported in Japan. Nihon Geka Hokan 1995; 64 (01) 3-14
- 4 Takeuchi Y, Yoshikawa M, Tsukamoto N. et al. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome with colon cancer, portal thrombosis, high titer of antinuclear antibodies, and membranous glomerulonephritis. J Gastroenterol 2003; 38 (08) 791-795
- 5 Daniel ES, Ludwig SL, Lewin KJ, Ruprecht RM, Rajacich GM, Schwabe AD. The Cronkhite-Canada Syndrome. An analysis of clinical and pathologic features and therapy in 55 patients. Medicine (Baltimore) 1982; 61 (05) 293-309
- 6 Johnson GK, Soergel KH, Hensley GT, Dodds WJ, Hogan WJ. Cronkite-Canada syndrome: gastrointestinal pathophysiology and morphology. Gastroenterology 1972; 63 (01) 140-152
- 7 Watanabe T, Kudo M, Shirane H. et al. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome associated with triple gastric cancers: a case report. Gastrointest Endosc 1999; 50 (05) 688-691
- 8 Malhotra R, Sheffield A. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome associated with colon carcinoma and adenomatous changes in C-C polyps. Am J Gastroenterol 1988; 83 (07) 772-776
- 9 Shen X, Husson M, Lipshutz W. Cronkhite-Canada syndrome: a case report and literature review of gastrointestinal polyposis syndrome. Case Reports in Clinical Medicine. 2014; 3 (12) 650