Pediatric COVID-19: The Silent Spreaders are not so Silent Anymore
The COVID-19 pandemic has been an enigma to all. Contrary to the initial perception that the novel coronavirus spares most kids, evidence has been emerging that children including neonates and infants are also infected. The clinical presentation in the pediatric age group has been reported as often atypical. Given the fact that children could be carriers of this deadly virus and hence act as spreaders, the need to recognize pediatric COVID-19 seems imminent.
21 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Dong Y, Mo X, Hu Y. et al. Epidemiology of COVID-19 among children in China. Pediatrics 2020; DOI: 10.1542/peds.2020-0702.
- 2 CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Coronavirus disease 2019 in children - United States, February 12-April 2, 2020. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2020; 69 (14) 422-426
- 3 D’Amico F, Baumgart DC, Danese S, Peyrin-Biroulet L. Diarrhea during COVID-19 infection: pathogenesis, epidemiology, prevention and management. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020; DOI: 10.1016/j.cgh.2020.04.001.
- 4 USA Today. What are ‘COVID toes’? Doctors Discover Symptom of Coronavirus Mostly Seen in Kids. Available at: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2020/04/21/coronavirus-covid-toes-may- symptom-covid-19-young-people/2994930001/. Accessed April 27, 2020
- 5 Wu P, Liang L, Chen C, Nie S. A child confirmed COVID-19 with only symptoms of conjunctivitis and eyelid dermatitis. Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol 2020; DOI: 10.1007/s00417-020-04708-6.
- 6 Viner RM, Whittaker E. Kawasaki-like disease: emerging complication during the COVID-19 pandemic. Lancet 2020; DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)31129-6.
- 7 Nathan N, Prevost B, Corvol H. Atypical presentation of COVID-19 in young infants. Lancet 2020; DOI: 10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30980-6.
- 8 Zimmermann P, Curtis N. Coronavirus infections in children including COVID-19: an overview of the epidemiology, clinical features, diagnosis, treatment and prevention options in children. Pediatr Infect Dis J 2020; 39 (05) 355-368
- 9 Xia W, Shao J, Guo Y, Peng X, Li Z, Hu D. Clinical and CT features in pediatric patients with COVID-19 infection: Different points from adults. Pediatr Pulmonol 2020; 55 (05) 1169-1174
- 10 Sun D, Li H, Lu XX. et al. Clinical features of severe pediatric patients with coronavirus disease 2019 in Wuhan: a single center’s observational study. World J Pediatr 2020; DOI: 10.1007/s12519-020-00354-4.
- 11 Chen ZM, Fu JF, Shu Q. et al. Diagnosis and treatment recommendations for pediatric respiratory infection caused by the 2019 novel coronavirus. World J Pediatr 2020; DOI: 10.1007/s12519-020-00345-5.
- 12 Chen Y, Peng H, Wang L. et al. Infants born to mothers with a new Coronavirus (COVID-19). Front Pediatr 2020; DOI: 10.3389/fped.2020.00104.
- 13 Chen H, Guo J, Wang C. et al. Clinical characteristics and intrauterine vertical transmission potential of COVID-19 infection in nine pregnant women: a retrospective review of medical records. Lancet 2020; 395 (10226) 809-815
- 14 Deccan Herald. India’s Youngest Coronavirus Case in Mumbai. Available at: www.deccanherald.com. Accessed June 3, 2020
- 15 Wei M, Yuan J, Liu Y, Fu T, Yu X, Zhang ZJ. Novel coronavirus infection in hospitalized infants under 1 year of age in China. JAMA 2020; DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.2131.
- 16 Infant infected with COVID-19 dies in US. Available at: https://www.theweek.in/news/world/2020/03/29/infant-infected-with-covid-19-dies-in-us.html. Accessed June 8, 2020
- 17 India Today. Coronavirus in India: 14-month-old dies of Covid-19 in Gujarat’s Jamnagar. Available at: https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/coronavirus-india-14-month-old-dies-covid-19-gujarat-jamnagar-1664486-2020-04-08. Accessed June 8, 2020
- 18 Times of India. Four-Month-Old Baby from Malappuram Dies of Covid-19. Available at: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kozhikode/four-month-old-baby-from-malappuram-dies-of-covid-19/articleshow/75342997.cms. Accessed June 8, 2020
- 19 NDTV. 6-Month-Old Girl Infected with Coronavirus Dies at Chandigarh Hospital. Available at: https://www.ndtv.com/chandigarh-news/covid-19-6-month-old-girl-infected-with-coronavirus-dies-at-chandigarh-hospital-2217000. Accessed June 3, 2020
- 20 NDTV. One-and-a-Half Month Old Baby Dies of Covid-19 at Delhi Hospital. Available at: ndtv.com/delhi-news/coronavirus-india-one-and-a-half-month-old-baby-dies-of-covid-19-at-delhi-hospital-2214621. Accessed June 3, 2020
- 21 Lee J. Mental health effects of school closures during COVID-19. Lancet Child Adolesc Health 2020; DOI: 10.1016/S2352-4642(20)30109-7.
- 22 World Health Organization. More than 117 Million Children at Risk of Missing Out on Measles Vaccines, as COVID-19 Surges. Available at: https://www.who.int/immunization/diseases/measles/statement_missing_measles_vaccine s_covid-19/en/. Accessed April 27, 2020