Common Bile Duct Polyp—Rare But Not So Rare Cause Of Obstructive Jaundice
Polyps are usually found in gastrointestinal tract as their primary site of occurrence. In contrast, polyps in common bile duct (CBD) are uncommon. Biliary polyps can manifest as obstructive jaundice, which is the usually a presentation of common bile duct stone or malignant tumor of bile duct and pancreas. In this case series, we present five patients who had clinical manifestations of obstructive jaundice. However, systematic diagnostic approach in these patients revealed presence of polyps in distal CBD. We have focused on diagnostic challenges encountered during the investigation of CBD polyps.
22 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Hacking CP, Taylor CJ, Nathanson LK. Common bile duct polyp mimicking choledocholithiasis: a case report with laparoscopic transcystic management. Surg Laparosc Endosc Percutan Tech 2008; 18 (03) 290-293
- 2 Yusif-Zade K, Musayev J, Yeler M. Tubulopapillary adenoma of the common bile duct presenting with jaundice. Ulus Cerrahi Derg 2015; 32 (03) 226-228
- 3 Saxe J, Lucas C, Ledgerwood AM, Sugawa C. Villous adenoma of the common bile duct. Arch Surg 1988; 123 (01) 96
- 4 Čekas K, Rudaitis V, Beiša V. et al. Common bile duct villous adenoma: a case report and review of the literature. J Med Case Reports 2016; 10 (01) 18
- 5 Loh KP, Nautsch D, Mueller J, Desilets D, Mehendiratta V. Adenomas involving the extrahepatic biliary tree are rare but have an aggressive clinical course. Endosc Int Open 2016; 4 (02) E112-E117
- 6 Kim B-S, Joo S-H, Joo K-R. Carcinoma in situ arising in a tubulovillous adenoma of the distal common bile duct: a case report. World J Gastroenterol 2008; 14 (29) 4705-4708
- 7 Yusuf TE, Bhutani MS. Role of endoscopic ultrasonography in diseases of the extrahepatic biliary system. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 19 (03) 243-250
- 8 Choi WB, Lee SK, Kim M. et al. A new strategy to predict the neoplastic polyps of the gallbladder based on a scoring system using EUS. Gastrointest Endosc 2000; 52 (03) 372-379
- 9 Sturgis TM, Fromkes JJ, Marsh W Jr. Adenoma of the common bile duct: endoscopic diagnosis and resection. Gastrointest Endosc 1992; 38 (04) 504-506
- 10 Ariche AM, Shelef I, Hilzenrat N, Dreznik Z. Villous adenoma of the common bile duct transforming into a cholangiocarcinoma. IMAJ-RAMAT GAN-. 01.12.2002; 4 (12) 1149