Current Avenues for COVID-19 Serology
Development of rapid, reliable, and easy diagnostic tests with high-throughput is the need of the hour for laboratories combating the COVID-19 pandemic. While real-time polymerase chain reaction (RT-PCR) is the gold standard for diagnosing active infections, it is expensive and time-consuming. Serological diagnostic assays with a premise to aid rapid contact tracing, immune status determination, and identification of potential convalescent plasma donors hold great promise. Timely diagnosis, effective treatment, and future prevention are key to management of COVID-19.
Keywordsrapid diagnostic tests - COVID-19 serological tests - convalescent plasma - immune status - antibody test
12 July 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Wang C, Horby PW, Hayden FG, Gao GF. A novel coronavirus outbreak of global health concern. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 470-473
- 2 Zhu N, Zhang D, Wang W. et al. A novel Coronavirus from patients with pneumonia in China, 2019. NEJM 2020; DOI: NEJMoa2001017.
- 3 Lu R, Zhao X, Li J. et al. Genomic characterisation and epidemiology of 2019 novel coronavirus: implications for virus origins and receptor binding. Lancet 2020; 395 (10224) 565-574
- 4 Worldometer. Available at: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/. Accessed June 2, 2020
- 5 Wang CJ, Ng CY, Brook RH. Response to COVID-19 in Taiwan. JAMA 2020; 323 (14) 1341
- 6 Lee VJ, Chiew CJ, Khong WX. Interrupting transmission of COVID-19: lessons from containment efforts in Singapore. J Travel Med 2020; 27 (03) taaa039
- 7 Look At Coronavirus In Focus - Infectious Diseases Hub. Available at: https://www.id-hub.com/2020/03/17/in-focus-coronavirus/. Accessed June 2, 2020
- 8 Serology-based tests for COVID-19. Johns Hopkins Center for Health. Available at: Security.www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/serology/Serology-based-tests-for-COVID-19.html. Accessed April 26, 2020
- 9 Loeffelholz MJ, Tang YW. Laboratory diagnosis of emerging human coronavirus infections - the state of the art. Emerg Microbes Infect 2020; 9 (01) 747-756
- 10 Udugama B, Kadhiresan P, Kozlowski HN. et al. Diagnosing COVID-19: the disease and tools for detection. ACS Nano 2020; 14 (04) 3822-3835
- 11 Zou L, Ruan F, Huang M. et al. SARS-CoV-2 viral load in upper respiratory specimens of infected patients. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (12) 1177-1179
- 12 Centerforhealthsecurity.org. Available at: https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/resources/COVID-19/COVID-19-fact-sheets/200228-Serology-testing-COVID.pdf. Accessed May 21, 2020
- 13 FDA. Available at: https://www.fda.gov/media/137111/download. Accessed June 2, 2020
- 14 Maxim LD, Niebo R, Utell MJ. Screening tests: a review with examples. Inhal Toxicol 2014; 26 (13) 811-828
- 15 PathSensors. 2020. Pathsensors - Powered By CANARY Technology Available at: www.pathsensors.com. Accessed June 10, 2020
- 16 Khan S, Nakajima R, Jain A. et al. Analysis of serologic cross-reactivity between common human Coronaviruses and SARS-CoV-2 using coronavirus antigen microarray. bioRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.03.24.006544.
- 17 Diao B, Wen K, Chen J. et al. Diagnosis of acute respiratory syndrome Coronavirus 2 infection by detection of nucleocapsid protein. medRxiv DOI: 10.1101/2020.03.07.20032524.
- 18 Che XY, Qiu LW, Pan YX. et al. Sensitive and specific monoclonal antibody-based capture enzyme immunoassay for detection of nucleocapsid antigen in sera from patients with severe acute respiratory syndrome. J Clin Microbiol 2004; 42 (06) 2629-2635
- 19 Yang X, Sun X. Chemiluminescent immunometric detection of Sars-Cov in sera as an early marker for the diagnosis of Sars. In: Akio T, Masako M, Larry JC, Philip ES. eds. Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence. UK: Cambridge Research & Technology Transfer Ltd; 2005
- 20 Liu W, Liu L, Kou G. et al. Evaluation of nucleocapsid and spike protein-based ELISAs for detecting antibodies against SARS-CoV-2. J Clin Microbiol 2020; DOI: 10.1128/jcm.00461-20.
- 21 Mizumoto K, Kagaya K, Zarebski A, Chowell G. Estimating the asymptomatic proportion of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) cases on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship, Yokohama, Japan, 2020. Euro Surveill 2020; 25 (10) 2000180
- 22 COVID-19 | Indian Council of Medical Research | Government of India. Available at: https://main.icmr.nic.in/content/covid-19. Accessed June 2, 2020
- 23 Cai XF, Chen J, Hu JL. et al. A peptide-based magnetic chemiluminescence enzyme immunoassay for serological diagnosis of Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). J Infect Dis 2020; DOI: 10.1093/infdis/jiaa243.
- 24 Diazyme Laboratories, Inc. Announces Availability of COVID-19 Antibody Tests. (2020). Available at: https://www.diazyme.com/diazyme- laboratories-inc-announces-availability-of-covid-19-antibody-tests. Accessed June 2, 2020
- 25 Park TJ, Hyun MS, Lee HJ, Lee SY, Ko S. A self-assembled fusion protein-based surface plasmon resonance biosensor for rapid diagnosis of severe acute respiratory syndrome. Talanta 2009; 79 (02) 295-301
- 26 Postnikova EN, Pettitt J, Van Ryn CJ. et al. Scalable, semi-automated fluorescence reduction neutralization assay for qualitative assessment of Ebola virus-neutralizing antibodies in human clinical samples. PLoS One 2019; 14 (08) e0221407
- 27 Carter LJ, Garner LV, Smoot JW. et al. Assay techniques and test development for COVID-19 diagnosis. ACS Cent Sci 2020; 6 (05) 591-605