Quality of Life in Children with Migraine: A Case–Control StudyFunding This study was funded by the Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences.
16 April 2020
16 May 2020
20 July 2020 (online)
We conducted a case–control study to determine the effects of migraine on quality of life (QOL) in children. Participants, aged between 6 and 18 years, were assigned to migraine (n = 70) and control (n = 70) groups. We used a translated version of Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory 4.0 questionnaire. From the children's perspective, the overall QOL scores in all domains were lower in children with migraine. Children in the migraine group had significant lower scores in the social, emotional, and physical functioning (p-value < 0.05) than control group. Interestingly, a significant difference in the educational performance was not seen (p-value = 0.101). Relative to the parents' responses and children, the overall scores in all domains were lower in children with migraine. Statistically significant lower scores were found only in emotional and physical domains (p-value < 0.05). The results of this study indicate that migraine imposes a substantial negative impact on the different aspects of QOL in children.
All authors contributed to the study conception and design. Material preparation, data collection, and analysis were performed by R.A., A.M., G.J., S.N., A.K., and S.S. The first draft of the manuscript was written by R.A. and S.S. and all authors commented on previous versions of the manuscript. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
The study design and its protocol has been assessed and approved by the Ethics Committee of the center and Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences (IR.AJUMS.REC.1397.292).
- 1 Abu-Arefeh I, Russell G. Prevalence of headache and migraine in schoolchildren. BMJ 1994; 309 (6957): 765-769
- 2 Olesen J. The International Classification of Headache Disorders. 2nd edition (ICHD-II). Rev Neurol (Paris) 2005; 161 (6–7): 689-691
- 3 Kernick D, Campbell J. Measuring the impact of headache in children: a critical review of the literature. Cephalalgia 2009; 29 (01) 3-16
- 4 Orr SL, Kabbouche MA, O'Brien HL, Kacperski J, Powers SW, Hershey AD. Paediatric migraine: evidence-based management and future directions. Nat Rev Neurol 2018; 14 (09) 515-527
- 5 Powers SW, Patton SR, Hommel KA, Hershey AD. Quality of life in childhood migraines: clinical impact and comparison to other chronic illnesses. Pediatrics 2003; 112 (1 Pt 1): e1-e5
- 6 Powers SW, Patton SR, Hommel KA, Hershey AD. Quality of life in paediatric migraine: characterization of age-related effects using PedsQL 4.0. Cephalalgia 2004; 24 (02) 120-127
- 7 Ung D, De Nadai AS, McBride NM. , et al. The association between quality of life and clinical characteristics youth with headaches. Child Health Care 2019; 48 (01) 1-17 . Doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02739615.2018.1425872
- 8 Orr SL, Christie SN, Akiki S, McMillan HJ. Disability, quality of life, and pain coping in pediatric migraine: an observational study. J Child Neurol 2017; 32 (08) 717-724
- 9 Ferracini GN, Dach F, Speciali JG. Quality of life and health-related disability in children with migraine. Headache 2014; 54 (02) 325-334
- 10 Varni JW, Seid M, Kurtin PS. PedsQL 4.0: reliability and validity of the Pediatric Quality of Life Inventory version 4.0 generic core scales in healthy and patient populations. Med Care 2001; 39 (08) 800-812
- 11 Öztop DB, Taşdelen BI, PoyrazoğLu HG. , et al. Assessment of psychopathology and quality of life in children and adolescents with migraine. J Child Neurol 2016; 31 (07) 837-842
- 12 Gold JI, Mahrer NE, Yee J, Palermo TM. Pain, fatigue, and health-related quality of life in children and adolescents with chronic pain. Clin J Pain 2009; 25 (05) 407-412
- 13 Bai G, Herten MH, Landgraf JM, Korfage IJ, Raat H. Childhood chronic conditions and health-related quality of life: findings from a large population-based study. PLoS One 2017; 12 (06) e0178539
- 14 Landgraf MN, von Kries R, Heinen F, Langhagen T, Straube A, Albers L. Self-reported neck and shoulder pain in adolescents is associated with episodic and chronic migraine. Cephalalgia 2016; 36 (08) 807-811
- 15 Albers L, Straube A, Landgraf MN, Filippopulos F, Heinen F, von Kries R. Migraine and tension type headache in adolescents at grammar school in Germany - burden of disease and health care utilization. J Headache Pain 2015; 16: 534
- 16 Hunfeld JA, Passchier J, Perquin CW, Hazebroek-Kampschreur AA, van Suijlekom-Smit LW, van der Wouden JC. Quality of life in adolescents with chronic pain in the head or at other locations. Cephalalgia 2001; 21 (03) 201-206
- 17 Arruda MA, Bigal ME. Migraine and migraine subtypes in preadolescent children: association with school performance. Neurology 2012; 79 (18) 1881-1888
- 18 Wöber-Bingöl Ç, Wöber C, Uluduz D. , et al. The global burden of headache in children and adolescents - developing a questionnaire and methodology for a global study. J Headache Pain 2014; 15: 86