A Descriptive Study on Aeroallergen Sensitivity Pattern in Children with Bronchial Asthma and/or Allergic RhinitisFunding None.
27 April 2020
14 May 2020
20 July 2020 (online)
Background The growing prevalence of allergy and asthma in India has become a major health concern, with symptoms ranging from mild rhinitis to severe asthma, and aeroallergens play a major role in the pathogenesis of reactive airway diseases. The distribution of aeroallergen and the knowledge of allergen sensitivity pattern in northern India (Rajasthan) are limited. The aim of our study was to determine the prevalence of various aeroallergens in children with bronchial asthma and/or allergic rhinitis by skin prick test at a tertiary care center in Jaipur, Rajasthan, India.
Methods Children who had presented to the Department of Pediatrics (outpatient department and inpatient department), Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Jaipur, from January 2018 to June 2019 fulfilling the inclusion criteria, were included in this prospective study. A total of 15 antigens were used. Skin prick testing was performed as per standard protocol.
Result Among total 60 children with respiratory allergic diseases, overall the highest percentage of skin prick test positivity was found among house dust mite (66.6%), storage mite (41.6%), wheat (33.3%), animal dander (30%), and Kentucky bluegrass (26.6%), in that order.
Conclusion It is advised to avoid common inhaled allergens found with SPT in our region in children with allergic airway diseases.
This study was approved by the Ethical Committee of Mahatma Gandhi Medical College, Jaipur, Rajasthan, India (no. MGHCH/IEC/JPR/2018/05).
- 1 Canonica GW, Baena-Cagnani CE. , et al. 100 years of immunotherapy: the Monoco Charter. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2013; 160: 346-349
- 2 Braunstahl GJ, Fokkens W. Nasal involvement in allergic asthma. Allergy 2003; 58 (12) 1235-1243
- 3 Prasad R, Kumar R. Allergy situation in India: what is being done?. Indian J Chest Dis Allied Sci 2013; 55 (01) 7-8
- 4 Koul PA, Patel D. Indian guidelines for asthma: adherence is the key. Lung India 2015; 32 (Suppl. 01) S1-S2
- 5 Raj D, Lodha R, Pandey A, Mukherjee A, Agrawal A, Kabra SK. ; New Delhi Childhood Asthma Study Group. Aeroallergen sensitization in childhood asthmatics in northern India. Indian Pediatr 2013; 50 (12) 1113-1118
- 6 Huurre TM, Aro HM, Jaakkola JJ. Incidence and prevalence of Asthma and allergic rhinitis: a cohort study of Finnish adolescents. J Asthma 2004; 41 (03) 311-317
- 7 Prasad R, Verma SK, Dua R, Kant S, Kushwaha RA, Agarwal SP. A study of skin sensitivity to various allergens by skin prick test in patients of nasobronchial allergy. Lung India 2009; 26 (03) 70-73
- 8 Dave L, Srivastava N. Sensitization pattern to various allergens in UAD. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2014; 5 (04) 1397-1403
- 9 Moitra S, Sen S, Datta A. , et al. Study of allergenicity spectrum to aero allergens by skin prick testing. Austin J Allergy. 2014; 1 (01) 4
- 10 Ibekwe PU, Ibekwe TS. Skin prick test analysis in allergic rhinitis patients: a preliminary study in Abuja, Nigeria. J Allergy (Cairo) 2016; 2016: 3219104
- 11 Han YY, Lee YL, Guo YL. Indoor environmental risk factors and seasonal variation of childhood asthma. Pediatr Allergy Immunol 2009; 20 (08) 748-756
- 12 Sharma RK, Mathur Y, Chhabra G, Luhadia A, Luhadia SK, Dhandoria G. A study of skin sensitivity to various allergens by skin prick test in patients of bronchial asthma and allergic rhinitis. Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2018; 32: 47-53
- 13 Spinozzi F, Murgia N, Baldacci S. , et al; ARGA study group. Characteristics and predictors of allergic rhinitis undertreatment in primary care. Int J Immunopathol Pharmacol 2016; 29 (01) 129-136
- 14 Kumar L. Allergies in North India. Indian J Pediatr 1981; 48 (394) 653-658
- 15 Kumar R, Saran N, Kumar M, Bisht I. , SN G. Pattern of skin sensitivity to various aero allergens in patients of bronchial asthma / allergic rhinitis. Indian J Allergy, Asthma Immunol I 2012; 26 (02) 66-72
- 16 Rasool R, Shera IA, Nissar S. , et al. Role of skin prick test in allergic disorders: a prospective study in Kashmiri population in light of review. Indian J Dermatol 2013; 58 (01) 12-17
- 17 Siroux V, Oryszczyn MP, Paty E. , et al. Relationships of allergic sensitization, total immunoglobulin E and blood eosinophils to asthma severity in children of the EGEA Study. Clin Exp Allergy 2003; 33 (06) 746-751
- 18 Kumar R, Kumar M, Bisht I, Singh K. Prevalence of aeroallergens in patients of bronchial asthma and/or allergic rhinitis in India based on skin prick test reactivity. Indian J Allergy Asthma Immunol 2017; 31: 45-55
- 19 Mathur M, Mathur HC. Etiology of asthma in Rajasthan. Indian Pediatr 1987; 24 (07) 549-552
- 20 Dey S, Chakraborty T. Prevalence study of common environmental allergens in children with asthma and allergic rhinitis in Kolkata: a hospital-based study. Indian J Child Health (Bhopal) 2017; 3 (03) 225-229
- 21 Duc J, Kolly M, Pécoud A. Frequency of respiratory allergens involved in rhinitis and bronchial asthma in adults. Prospective study [in French]. Schweiz Med Wochenschr 1986; 116 (36) 1205-1210
- 22 Acharya PJ. Skin test response to some inhalant allergens in patients of nasobronchial allergy from Andhra Pradesh. Aspects Allergy Appl Immunol 1980; 8: 34-36
- 23 Sharma S, Kathuria PC, Gupta CK, Nordling K, Ghosh B, Singh AB. Total serum immunoglobulin E levels in a case-control study in asthmatic/allergic patients, their family members, and healthy subjects from India. Clin Exp Allergy 2006; 36 (08) 1019-1027
- 24 Lal A, Sunaina Waghray S, Nand Kishore NN. Skin prick testing and immunotherapy in nasobronchial allergy: our experience. Indian J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2011; 63 (02) 132-135
- 25 Casset A, Mari A, Purohit A. , et al. Varying allergen composition and content affects the in vivo allergenic activity of commercial Dermatophagoides pteronyssinus extracts. Int Arch Allergy Immunol 2012; 159 (03) 253-262
- 26 Esch RE. Allergen source materials and quality control of allergenic extracts. Methods 1997; 13 (01) 2-13
- 27 Mahesh PA, Kummeling I, Amrutha DH, Vedanthan PK. Effect of area of residence on patterns of aeroallergen sensitization in atopic patients. Am J Rhinol Allergy 2010; 24 (05) e98-e103
- 28 Passalacqua G, Durham SR. ; Global Allergy and Asthma European Network. Allergic rhinitis and its impact on asthma update: allergen immunotherapy. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2007; 119 (04) 881-891
- 29 Pierson-Mullany LK, Jackola DR, Blumenthal MN, Rosenberg A. Evidence of an affinity threshold for IgE-allergen binding in the percutaneous skin test reaction. Clin Exp Allergy 2002; 32 (01) 107-116
- 30 Gharagozlou M, Rategari V, Movahedi M, Moin M, Hassan BM. Total serum IgE and skin tests in children with respiratory allergy. Tanaffos 2005; 15: 27-31