A Rare Tumor of the Nasal Cavity: Hemangiopericytoma
Hemangiopericytomas (HPCs) are soft tissue neoplasms that account for 3 to 5% of all soft tissue sarcomas and 1% of all vascular tumors. The vascular tumors originate from pericytes in the head and neck. The most common sites are the nasal cavity, paranasal sinuses, orbital region, parotid gland, and neck. HPC arising from the nose and paranasal sinuses is a rare entity. Till now, less than 200 cases have been reported in the literature. The treatment of choice is complete surgical resection, if possible, combined with preoperative embolization. We are presenting a rare case of HPC of the nasal cavity for its rarity and for concerns in management. This case was managed by endoscopic resection, which gave complete clearance of the disease and achieved better cosmesis.
06 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Marianowski R, Wassef M, Herman P, Huy PT. Nasal haemangiopericytoma: report of two cases with literature review. J Laryngol Otol 1999; 113 (03) 199-206
- 2 Hervé S, Abd Alsamad I, Beautru R. et al. Management of sinonasal hemangiopericytomas. Rhinology 1999; 37 (04) 153-158
- 3 Pross HF, Lotzová E. Role of natural killer cells in cancer. Nat Immun 1993; 12 (4-5) 279-292
- 4 Yang Q, Goding SR, Hokland ME, Basse PH. Antitumor activity of NK cells. Immunol Res 2006; 36 (1-3) 13-25
- 5 Fukushima K, Dejima K, Koike S. et al. A case of angiosarcoma of the nasal cavity successfully treated with recombinant interleukin-2. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2006; 134 (05) 886-887
- 6 Tanigawa T, Yajin K. A case of hemangiopericytoma from maxillary sinus. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg (Tokyo) 1996; 68: 184-185
- 7 Atzpodien J, Hoffmann R, Franzke M, Stief C, Wandert T, Reitz M. Thirteen-year, long-term efficacy of interferon 2alpha and interleukin 2-based home therapy in patients with advanced renal cell carcinoma. Cancer 2002; 95 (05) 1045-1050
- 8 Sharp E. Case management of the hospitalized patient receiving interleukin-2. Semin Oncol Nurs 1993; 9 (3, Suppl 1) 14-19
- 9 Yang JC, Sherry RM, Steinberg SM. et al. Randomized study of high-dose and low-dose interleukin-2 in patients with metastatic renal cancer. J Clin Oncol 2003; 21 (16) 3127-3132
- 10 Simmonds JC, Rebeiz EE. Surgical resection of sinonasal hemangiopericytoma involving anterior skull base: case reports and literature review. Am J Otolaryngol 2017; 38 (01) 87-91