An Unusual Cause of Chylothorax after Esophagectomy
Chylothorax due to inadvertent thoracic duct injury after esophagectomy is a well-known complication and requires careful postoperative management and timely intervention to prevent potential morbidity and mortality. We present a case of high-output chylothorax after esophagectomy where the source of chyle leak was not in the thorax.
Received: 03 March 2020
Accepted: 04 May 2020
10 September 2020 (online)
© 2020. The Author(s). This is an open access article published by Thieme under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, permitting unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction so long as the original work is properly cited. (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/).
Thieme Medical Publishers
333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA.
- 1 Mishra PK, Saluja SS, Ramaswamy D, Bains SS, Haque PD. Thoracic duct injury following esophagectomy in carcinoma of the esophagus: ligation by the abdominal approach. World J Surg 2013; 37 (01) 141-146
- 2 Miao L, Zhang Y, Hu H. , et al. Incidence and management of chylothorax after esophagectomy. Thorac Cancer 2015; 6 (03) 354-358
- 3 Javed A, Manipadam JM, Jain A, Kalayarasan R, Uppal R, Agarwal AK. Minimally invasive oesophagectomy in prone versus lateral decubitus position: A comparative study. J Minim Access Surg 2016; 12 (01) 10-15
- 4 Crucitti P, Mangiameli G, Petitti T. , et al. Does prophylactic ligation of the thoracic duct reduce chylothorax rates in patients undergoing oesophagectomy? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2016; 50 (06) 1019-1024
- 5 Schurink B, Defize IL, Mazza E. , et al. Two-field lymphadenectomy during esophagectomy: the presence of thoracic duct lymph nodes. Ann Thorac Surg 2018; 106 (02) 435-439
- 6 Lambertz R, Chang DH, Hickethier T. , et al. Ultrasound-guided lymphangiography and interventional embolization of chylous leaks following esophagectomy. Innov Surg Sci 2019; 4 (03) 85-90