Subscribe to RSS
Cervicothoracic Fixation by Domino Connector in Cervicothoracic Junction Tuberculosis–A Case ReportFunding None.
Cervicothoracic junction tuberculosis involves the C7 to D3 levels of the spine which constitutes 5% of all spinal tuberculosis. As the cervicothoracic junction is transitional zone and a weight-bearing area, the anatomical considerations for treatment of cervicothoracic junction is very difficult. We did a lateral mass screw for C5, 6, and 7 and pedicle screw of D3 and 4 levels, and connected cervical 3.5 mm rod with thoracic 5.5 mm rod using a domino connector. We gave antituberculosis therapy for 18 months. We followed-up the patient routinely and she significantly improved.
Keywordscervicothoracic - dorsal - medical research council - magnetic resonance imaging - tuberculosis
20 August 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Cohen ZR, Fourney DR, Gokaslan ZL, Walsh GL, Rhines LD. Anterior stabilization of the upper thoracic spine via an “interaortocaval subinnominate window”: case report and description of operative technique. J Spinal Disord Tech 2004; 17 (06) 543-548
- 2 Kaya RA, Türkmenoğlu ON, Koç ON. et al. A perspective for the selection of surgical approaches in patients with upper thoracic and cervicothoracic junction instabilities. Surg Neurol 2006; 65 (05) 454-463, discussion 463
- 3 Jain AK. Tuberculosis of the spine: a fresh look at an old disease. J Bone Joint Surg Br 2010; 92 (07) 905-913
- 4 Garg RK, Somvanshi DS. Spinal tuberculosis: a review. J Spinal Cord Med 2011; 34 (05) 440-454
- 5 Zhang HQ, Hu X, Yin X, Chen Y. One-stage combined anterior-posterior approach treatment of multiple cervicothoracic spinal tuberculosis with kyphosis. Int Orthop 2015; 39 (08) 1605-1610
- 6 Ebraheim NA, Xu R, Knight T. Yeas□ng RA: morphometric evalua□on of lower cervical pedicle and its projection. Spine 1997; 22 (01) 1-6
- 7 Zhu Z, Hao D, Wang B. et al. Selection of surgical treatment approaches for cervicothoracic spinal tuberculosis: A 10-year case review. PLoS One 2018; 13 (02) e0192581
- 8 Korovessis P, Katonis P, Aligizakis A. et al. Posterior compact Cotrel-Dubousset instrumentation for occipitocervical, cervical and cervicothoracic fusion. Eur Spine J 2001; 10 (05) 385-394
- 9 McAfee PC, Bohlman HH, Ducker TB, Zeidman SM, Goldstein JA. One-stage anterior cervical decompression and posterior stabilization. A study of one hundred patients with a minimum of two years of follow-up. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1995; 77 (12) 1791-1800
- 10 Le H, Balabhadra R, Park J, Kim D. Surgical treatment of tumors involving the cervicothoracic junction. Neurosurg Focus 2003; 15 (05) E3