Guidelines for Management of Neurosurgical Cases during COVID-19 Pandemic
Transmission of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) infection can occur to health care workers while providing treatment. It is vital to ensure the safety and to avoid any undue exposure of health care workers, leading to collapse of the entire health care system. As the world is facing this grave threat due to COVID-19, a proper protocol should be there. Daily updates and modifications are being made available by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare and the ministry advises that protocols be tailored as per prevailing local conditions. We are trying to lay down guidelines based on available literature, data, and guidelines to take the procedures of neurosurgery and neurosciences.
04 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 World Health Organization. US$675 million needed for new coronavirus preparedness and response global plan [Internet]. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2020. [cited 2020 Feb 5]. Available from: https://www.who.int/news-room/detail/05-02-2020-us-675-million-needed-for-new-coronavirus-preparedness-and-response-global-plan. Accessed May 5, 2020
- 2 Gaunt ER, Hardie A, Claas EC, Simmonds P, Templeton KE. Epidemiology and clinical presentations of the four human coronaviruses 229E, HKU1, NL63, and OC43 detected over 3 years using a novel multiplex real-time PCR method. J Clin Microbiol 2010; 48 (08) 2940-2947
- 3 Huang C, Wang Y, Li X. et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 497-506
- 4 Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Revised Guidelines on Clinical Management of COVID–19. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/RevisedNationalClinicalManagementGuidelineforCOVID1931032020.pdf. Accessed March 31, 2020
- 5 American College of Surgeons. COVID-19: Elective Case Triage Guidelines for Surgical Care. Published March 24, 2020. Available at: https://www.facs.org/covid-19/clinical-guidance/elective-case. Accessed March 27, 2020
- 6 Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Guidance document on appropriate management of suspectirmed cases of COVID 19. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/FinalGuidanceonMangaementofCovidcasesversion2.pdf. Accessed on March 31, 2020
- 7 Li Y, Li ZF, Mao QX. et al. Consensus on emergency surgery and infection prevention and control for severe trauma patients with 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia. J Chin J Trauma 2020; 36: 97-103
- 8 Ministry of Health & Family Welfare. Guidance on specimen collection, processing, transportation, including related biosafety procedures. Available at: https://mohfw.gov.in/media/disease-alerts. Accessed March 31, 2020
- 9 P. Lagier JC, Parola PX. et al. Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: Results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020; 105949 [epub ahead of print] DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949.
- 10 World Health Organization. Hand Hygiene for Health Workers Caring for Ebola Patients. Available at: https://www.who.int/csr/disease/ebola/hand-hygiene/en/. Accessed February 7, 2020