Infection Control Practices in Endoscopy Room in COVID-19 Era
COVID-19, the highly contagious disease caused by the novel SARS-CoV-2 virus, has been declared as pandemic by the World Health Organization. Till the time an effective antiviral treatment or vaccine becomes available, adopting best infection control practices appear to be the cornerstone of managing this pandemic. Infection control practice in the endoscopy room should address three important aspects—personnel, equipment, and environment.
16 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Praveer Rai. Disinfection of Endoscopy and Reusability of Accessories. J Digest Endosc 2020; 11: 61-66
- 2 Guo Z-D, Wang Z-Y, Zhang S-F. et al. Aerosol and surface distribution of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 in hospital wards, Wuhan, China. Emerg Infect Dis 2020; 26 (07) DOI: :10.3201/eid2607.200885.
- 3 Sultan S, Lim JK, Altayar O. et al. AGA. AGA institute rapid recommendations for gastrointestinal procedures during the COVID-19 pandemic. Gastroenterology 2020; S0016-5085(20)30458-3 DOI: 10.1053/j.gastro.2020.03.072.
- 4 Chiu PWY, Ng SC, Inoue H. et al. Practice of endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic: position statements of the Asian Pacific Society for Digestive Endoscopy (APSDE-COVID statements).. Gut 2020; gutjnl-2020-321185 DOI: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-321185.
- 5 Centre for Disease Control and Prevention-Interim Infection Prevention and Control Recommendations for Patients with Suspected or Confirmed Coronavirus Disease. 2019 (COVID-19) in Healthcare Settings (Updated April 13, 2020). Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/infection-control-recommendations.html. Accessed April 27, 2020
- 6 Repici A, Maselli R, Colombo M. et al. Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: what the department of endoscopy should know. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; S0016-5107(20)30245-5 DOI: 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.019.
- 7 van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH. et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (16) 1564-1567
- 8 Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Guideline for disinfection and sterilisation in healthcare facilities 2008; Cleaning and disinfecting environmental surfaces in healthcare facilities. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/infectioncontrol/guidelines/disinfection/healthcare-equipment.html. Accessed April 20, 2020
- 9 Ministry of Health and Family Welfare. Directorate General of Health services Corona Virus Disease 2019. “Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) for transporting a suspect/confirmed case of COVID-19. Available at: https://www.mohfw.gov.in/pdf/StandardOperatingProcedureSOPfortrans-portingasuspectorconfirmedcaseofCOVID19.pdf. Accessed April 27, 2020.