Subscribe to RSS
Homoeopathic Management in a Case of Infertility with PCOS
Infertility is the inability of a sexually active couple, not using any birth control, to get pregnant after 1 year of trying. About one-quarter of female infertility is caused by a problem with ovulation. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) accounts for more than 75% of cases of anovulatory infertility. PCOS is a disorder of chronically abnormal ovarian function and hyperandrogenism (abnormally elevated androgen levels) manifested by irregular menstrual cycles, polycystic ovaries, excess unwanted hair, obesity etc. A case of a female aged 21 years with irregular menses for the past 2 years diagnosed with PCOS and inability to conceive has been reported here. The case was worked out as per homoeopathic principles and individualised homoeopathic medicine, Pulsatilla nigricans (Puls. nig.) was prescribed and the patient responded positively and conceived
Keywordsanovulatory infertility - infertility - individualised homoeopathic medicine - polycystic ovary syndrome - Pulsatilla nigricans
The patient willingly gave her informed consent for publication of this report.
Declaration of Patient Consent
The authors certify that they have obtained appropriate patient consent form. In the form, the patient has given her consent for clinical information to be reported in the journal. The patient understands that her name and initials will not be published, and due efforts will be made to conceal her identity, but anonymity cannot.
Financial Support and Sponsorship
03 February 2021 (online)
© 2021. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Pvt. Ltd.
A-12, 2nd Floor, Sector 2, Noida-201301 UP, India
- 1 World Health Organization. (WHO-International Committee for Monitoring Assisted Reproductive Technology (ICMART), [Sexual and reproductive health], WHO; [Last accessed on 21.05.19] https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/topics/infertility/definitions/en/
- 2 Infertility, Wikipedia; Available from: https://www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infertility
- 3 Lindsay TJ, Vitrikas KR. Evaluation and treatment of infertility. Am Fam Physician 2015; 91 (05) 308-314 https://www.aafp.org/afp/2015/0301/p308.html
- 4 Ndefo UA, Eaton A, Green MR. Polycystic ovary syndrome: a review of treatment options with a focus on pharmacological approaches. P&T 2013; 38 (06) 336-355 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3737989/ [Accessed on 21.5.19]
- 5 Hart R. PCOS and infertility. Panminerva Med 2008; 50 (04) 305-314 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=PMID%3A+++19078871 [Last accessed on 25.11.19]
- 6 Balen AH, Morley LC, Misso M. et al. The management of anovulatory infertility in women with polycystic ovary syndrome: an analysis of the evidence to support the development of global WHO guidance. Hum Reprod Update 2016; 22 (06) 687-708 https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27511809 DOI: 10.1093/humupd/dmw025 [Last accessed on 26.11.19].
- 7 Lin LH, Baracat MC, Maciel GA, Soares Jr JM, Baracat EC. Androgen receptor gene polymorphism and polycystic ovary syndrome. Int J Gynaecol Obstet 2013; 120 (02) 115-118
- 8 Pasquali R, Stener-Victorin E, Yildiz BO. et al. PCOS Forum: research in polycystic ovary syndrome today and tomorrow. Clin Endocrinol (Oxf) 2011; 74 (04) 424-433
- 9 Saxena P, Prakash A, Nigam A. Efficacy of 2-hour post glucose insulin levels in predicting insulin resistance in polycystic ovarian syndrome with infertility. J Hum Reprod Sci 2011; 4 (01) 20-22
- 10 van der Spuy ZM, Dyer SJ. The pathogenesis of infertility and early pregnancy loss in polycystic ovary syndrome. Best Pract Res Clin Obstet Gynaecol 2004; 18 (05) 755-771
- 11 Lobo A, D'cunha P, Lobo B. Effectiveness of homoeopathic treatment in female infertility. Reprod Med Int 2018; 1: 8 Doi: 10.23937/rmi-2017/1710008. Available at: https://clinmedjournals.org/articles/rmi/reproductive-medicine-international-rmi-1-008.php?jid=rmi [Accessed on 26.11.19]
- 12 van Haselen RA. Homeopathic clinical case reports: development of a supplement (HOM-CASE) to the CARE clinical case reporting guideline. Complement Ther Med 2016; 25: 78-85
- 13 Sanchez-Resendiz J, Guzman-Gomez F. Polycystic ovary syndrome. Boletin Mex Homeopatica 1997; 30: 11-15
- 14 Lamba CD, Oberai P, Manchanda RK, Rath P, Bindu PH, Padmanabhan M. Evaluation of homoeopathic treatment in polycystic ovary syndrome: a single-blind, randomised, placebo-controlled pilot study. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2018; 12: 35-45