Intrathoracic Liver Heterotopia: An Incidental Finding at Autopsy
Heterotopia is the presence of a particular tissue at a nonphysiological site. The most common sites are gastric, pancreatic, and splenic heterotopias. While liver heterotopias are rare, intrathoracic heterotopias are much more limited. It is usually reported incidentally on imaging investigations or at autopsy. There is a high incidence of malignant transformation of heterotopic livers, and hence resection is always recommended. Here we report a case of heterotopic liver tissue in the right lung in a 42-year-old male, incidentally found at the gross examination of autopsy specimen of the lung.
08 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Desmet VJ, Rosai J. Liver: Non-neoplastic lesions, tumor and tumor-like conditions. In: Roasi J. ed. Rosai and Ackerman’s Surgical Pathology. 10th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2011: 858-891
- 2 Chen YY, Huang TW, Chang H, Hsu HH, Lee SC. Intrathoracic caudate lobe of the liver: a case report and literature review. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20 (17) 5147-5152
- 3 An J, Han J, Lee KS, Choi YS. Supradiaphragmatic heterotopic liver presenting as a pleural mass: a case report. Tuberc Respir Dis (Seoul) 2010; 69: 191-195
- 4 Iber T, Rintala R. Intrapulmonary ectopic liver. J Pediatr Surg 1999; 34 (09) 1425-1426
- 5 Collan Y, Hakkiluoto A, Hästbacka J. Ectopic liver. Ann Chir Gynaecol 1978; 67 (01) 27-29
- 6 Lee SG, Ryu DS, Park MS. Kang CH, Choi SJ, Shin DR. J Korean Soc Radiol 2016; 74 (06) 399-402
- 7 Lee SG, Ryu DS, Park MS, Kang CH. A case of intrathoracic ectopic liver in a patient without diaphragmatic defect. J Korean Soc Radiol 2016; 74 (06) 399-402
- 8 Arakawa M, Kimura Y, Sakata K, Kubo Y, Fukushima T, Okuda K. Propensity of ectopic liver to hepatocarcinogenesis: case reports and a review of the literature. Hepatology 1999; 29 (01) 57-61
- 9 Huang W, Xu X, Li T, Zhang H, Chen Y, Li S. Ectopic liver tissue in stomach paries: a case report. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 2015; 8 (09) 11704-11707
- 10 Leone N, De Paolis P, Carrera M. et al. Ectopic liver and hepatocarcinogenesis: report of three cases with four years’ follow-up. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2004; 16 (08) 731-735