Triaging Patients Undergoing Endoscopy During COVID-19 Pandemic
"Triaging for endoscopy" is the process to determine the most deserving patients after careful scrutiny amongst a pool of patients who report for Gastrointestinal (GI) Endoscopy diagnostic or interventional procedures that include Esophago-gastro-duodenoscopy (OGD), Colonoscopy, ERCP, EUS and Enteroscopy. The purpose of triaging at endoscopy is to prevent transmission of SARS-COV2 infection from suspected patient to the health care workers involved at endoscopy. The three professional Indian Gastroenterology bodies namely Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG) & Indian Association for the study of the liver (INASL) have recently provided guidance of scheduling of endoscopic procedures in the current Covid-9 pandemic. Similar suggestions have been promulgated by other international bodies.
16 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Philip M, Lakhtakia S, Aggarwal R, Madan K, Saraswat V, Makharia G. Joint Guidance from SGEI, ISG and INASL for gastroenterologists and gastrointestinal endoscopists on the prevention, care and management of patients with COVID-19. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2020.04.001.
- 2 Repici A, Maselli R, Colombo M. et al. Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: what the department of endoscopy should know. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.019.
- 3 Philip M, Lakhtakia S, Aggarwal R, Madan K, Saraswat V, Makharia G. Joint Guidance from the Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy of India (SGEI), Indian Society of Gastroenterology (ISG), and Indian National Association for Study of the Liver (INASL) for Gastroenterologists and Gastrointestinal Endoscopists on the prevention, care, and management of patients with COVID-19. J Dig Endosc 2020;(e-pub ahead of print) Available at http://www.thieme-connect.de/DOI/DOI?10.1055/s-0040-1709837 Accessed April 24, 2020
- 4 European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, European Society of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy Nurses and Associates. ESGE and ESGENA Position Statement on gastrointestinal endoscopy and the COVID-19 pandemic. Endoscopy 2020;(e-pub ahead of print). Available at https://www.esge.com/esge-and-esgena-position-statement-on-gastrointestinal-endoscopy-and-the-covid-19-pandemic/%0D Accessed April, 24, 2020
- 5 Soetikno R, Teoh AY, Kaltenbach T. et al. Considerations in performing endoscopy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3758.
- 6 Gu J, Han B, Wang J. COVID-19: gastrointestinal manifestations and potential fecal-oral transmission. Gastroenterology 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1053/j.gastro.2020.02.054.
- 7 Ponchon T, Chaussade S. COVID-19 : How to select patients for endoscopy and how to reschedule the procedures?. Endosc Int Open 2020; 08: 699-700
- 8 Cortegoso Valdivia P, Le Grazie M, Gaiani F, Decembrino F, De’ Angelis GL. Separated pathways in the endoscopy unit for COVID-19 patients. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3841.
- 9 Chiu PWY, Ng SC, Inoue H. et al. Practice of endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic: position statements of the Asian Pacific Society for Digestive Endoscopy (APSDE-COVID statements). Gut 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1136/gutjnl-2020-321185.