Techniques of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy—Do We Need to Change Anything?
Novel coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) has spread to different parts of the world and was declared a pandemic by World Health Organization (WHO). Health care workers are at increased risk of contracting the disease due to their nature of work and close contact with the patients. Staff in endoscopy need to be aware of this risk due to the aerosol-generating nature of procedures and the presence of virus particles in stool samples of infected persons. The risk of asymptomatic patients spreading the disease is also a cause for concern. This article intends to provide guidance and recommendations for techniques and practice of gastrointestinal (GI) endoscopy to prevent infection in endoscopy unit.
16 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Rothan HA, Byrareddy SN. The epidemiology and pathogenesis of coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak. J Autoimmun 2020; 109: 102433
- 2 Schwartz J, King C-C, Yen M-Y. Protecting health care workers during the COVID-19 coronavirus outbreak -lessons from Taiwan’s SARS response. Clin Infect Dis 2020; ciaa255 (e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1093/cid/ciaa255
- 3 COVID-19: protecting health-care workers. Lancet 2020; 395 (10228) P 922
- 4 Doctor among 3 test positive for COVID-19 at Max hospital.. Available at: https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/doctor-test-positive-covid19-max-hospital-1666632-2020-04-13. Accessed April 24, 2020
- 5 Lui RN, Wong SH, Sánchez-Luna SA, et al. Overview of guidance for endoscopy during the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID- 19) pandemic. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2020;(e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1111/jgh.15053
- 6 Wang Y, Wang Y, Chen Y, Qin Q. Unique epidemiological and clinical features of the emerging 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia (COVID-19) implicate special control measures. J Med Virol 2020;(e-pub ahead of print) doi:10.1002/jmv.25748
- 7 Hu Z, Song C, Xu C, Jin G, Chen Y, Xu X. et al. Clinical characteristics of 24 asymptomatic infections with COVID-19 screened among close contacts in Nanjing, China. Sci China Life Sci 2020; 63 (05) 706-711
- 8 Indian Council of Medical Research, Department of Health Research. Strategy for COVID19 testing in India (Version 4, dated 09/04/2020). Available at https://icmr.nic.in/sites/default/files/upload_documents/Strategey_for_COVID19_Test_v4_09042020.pdf. Accessed April 24, 2020
- 9 Gastrointestinal endoscopy during COVID-19 pandemic: an updated review of guidelines and statements from international and national societies. Gastrointest Endosc 2020;(e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3854
- 10 Tse F, Borgaonkar M, Leontiadis GI. COVID-19: advice from the Canadian Association of Gastroenterology for endoscopy facilities, as of March 16, 2020. J Canad Assoc Gastroenterol 2020 doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/jcag/gwaa012
- 11 Philip M, Lakhtakia S, Aggarwal R, Madan K, Saraswat V, Makharia G. Joint guidance from SGEI, ISG and INASL for gastroenterologists and gastrointestinal endoscopists on the prevention, care and management of patients with COVID-19. J Clin Exp Hepatol 2020;(e-pub ahead of print). doi https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jceh.2020.04.001
- 12 Thompson CC, Shen L, Lee LS. COVID-19 in endoscopy: time to do more? Gastrointest Endosc 2020;:S0016-5107(20)34126-2, (e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3848
- 13 Jain R, Ikenberry SO, Anderson MA. et al. ASGE Standards of Practice Committee. Minimum staffing requirements for the performance of GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2010; 72 (03) 469-470
- 14 Repici A, Maselli R, Colombo M, et al. Coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak: what the department of endoscopy should know. Gastrointest Endosc 2020;:S0016-5107(20)30245-5, (e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.019
- 15 Cortegoso Valdivia P, Le Grazie M, Gaiani F, Decembrino F, De’ Angelis GL. Separated pathways in the endoscopy unit for COVID-19 patients. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; S0016-5107(20)34119-5 (e-pub ahead of print). doi:10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3841
- 16 Johnston ER, Habib-Bein N, Dueker JM. et al. Risk of bacterial exposure to the endoscopist’s face during endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2019; 89 (04) 818-824
- 17 Soetikno R, Teo AYB, Kaltenbac T. et al. Considerations in performing endoscopy during the COVID-19 pandemic. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; S0016-5107(20)34033-5 (e-pub ahead of print). 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3758
- 18 Marchese M, Capannolo A, Lombardi L, Di Carlo M, Marinangeli F, Fusco P. Use of a modified ventilation mask to avoid aerosolizing spread of droplets for short endoscopic procedures during coronavirus COVID-19 outbreak. Gastrointest Endosc 2020; S0016-5107(20)34131-6 (e-pub ahead of print). 10.1016/j.gie.2020.03.3853
- 19 van Doremalen N, Bushmaker T, Morris DH. et al. Aerosol and surface stability of SARS-CoV-2 as compared with SARS-CoV-1. N Engl J Med 2020; 382 (16) 1564-1567