Management of Coronavirus 2019
Coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) disease is the most recent global public health problem. It is caused by SARS-CoV-2 (severe acute respiratory syndrome related coronavirus 2), which is a RNA virus with a high mutation rate, belonging to the genus Coronavirus. The objective of this communication is to provide an initial understanding regarding pathophysiology, clinical manifestations, management, and prevention of this devastating disease.
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Peng PWH, Ho PL, Hota SS. Outbreak of a new coronavirus: what anaesthetists should know. Br J Anaesth 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.bja.2020.02.008.
- 2 Kenneth M. Coronavirus disease-2019 (COVID 19): management in adults. Available at: https://www.uptodate.com/contents/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19-management-in-adults?topicRef=126981&source=related_link. Accessed April 14, 2020
- 3 Wax RS, Christian MD. Practical recommendations for critical care and anesthesiology teams caring for novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) patients. Can J Anesth 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1007/s12630-020-01591-x.
- 4 Young BE, Ong SWX, Kalimuddin S. et al. Singapore 2019 Novel Coronavirus Outbreak Research Team. Epidemiologic features and clinical course of patients infected with SARS-CoV-2 in Singapore. JAMA 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.3204.
- 5 Ruan Q, Yang K, Wang W, Jiang L, Song J. Clinical predictors of mortality due to COVID-19 based on an analysis of data of 150 patients from Wuhan, China. Intensive Care Med 2020; (e-pub ahead of print). doi DOI: 10.1007/s00134-020-05991-x.
- 6 Wang D, Hu B, Hu C. et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA 2020; 323 (11) 1061-1069
- 7 Xie J, Tong Z, Guan X, Du B, Qiu H, Slutsky AS. Critical care crisis and some recommendations during the COVID-19 epidemic in China. Intensive Care Med 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1007/s00134-020-05979-7.
- 8 Wu Z, McGoogan JM. Characteristics of and important lessons from the coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak in China: summary of a report of 72 314 cases from the Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention. JAMA 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1001/jama.2020.2648.
- 9 Zhou F, Yu T, Du R. et al Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10229) 1054-1062
- 10 Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X. et al Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 507-513
- 11 Huang C, Wang Y, Li X. et al Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223) 497-506
- 12 Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y. et al Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. JAMA 2019 (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa2002032.
- 13 Shi H, Han X, Jiang N. et al. Radiological findings from 81 patients with COVID-19 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet Infect Dis 2020; 20 (04) 425-434
- 14 Bouadma L, Lescure FX, Lucet JC, Yazdanpanah Y, Timsit JF. Severe SARS-CoV-2 infections: practical considerations and management strategy for intensivists. Intensive Care Med 2020; 46 (04) 579-582
- 15 World Health Organization. Laboratory testing for coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) in suspected human cases: interim guidance, 2 March 2020. https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/331329/unknown
- 16 Wang M, Cao R, Zhang L. et al. Remdesivir and chloroquine effectively inhibit the recently emerged novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) in vitro. Cell Res 2020; 30 (03) 269-271
- 17 Yao X, Ye F, Zhang M. et al In vitro antiviral activity and projection of optimized dosing design of hydroxychloroquine for the treatment of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2). Clin Infect Dis 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1093/cid/ciaa237.
- 18 Cortegiani A, Ingoglia G, Ippolito M, Giarratano A, Einav S. A systematic review on the efficacy and safety of chloroquine for the treatment of COVID-19. J Crit Care 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.jcrc.2020.03.005.
- 19 World Health Organization. Clinical management of severe acute respiratory infection when COVID-19 disease is suspected. https://www.who.int/publications-detail/clinical-management-of-severe-acute-respiratory-infection-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected/unknown
- 20 Alhazzani W, Møller MH, Arabi YB. Surviving Sepsis Campaign: guidelines on the management of critically ill adults with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1007/s00134-020-06022-5.
- 21 Reuters. China approves use of Roche drug in battle against coronavirus complications. https:/www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-china-roche-hldg/china-approves-use-of-roche-arthritis-drug-for-coronavirus-patients-idUSKBN20R0LF Accessed March 11, 2020
- 22 Indian Society of Critical Care Medicine. Critical Care for COVID-19 Affected Patients: Position Statement of the Indian Society of Critical Care Medicinehttps://isccm.org/pdf/ijccm23395.pdf/unknown
- 23 Zhu L, Xu X, Ma K. et al Successful recovery of COVID-19 pneumonia in a renal transplant recipient with long-term immunosuppression. Am J Transplant 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1111/ajt.15869.
- 24 BioSpace. CytoSorbents Provides Update on CytoSorb and COVID-19 Coronavirus Activities. https://www.biospace.com/article/releases/cytosorbents-provides-update-on-cytosorb-and-covid-19-coronavirus-activities
- 25 COVID-19 World News. Expert consensus on comprehensive treatment of coronavirus disease in Shanghai 2019. https://covid19data.com/2020/03/04/expert-consensus-on-comprehensive-treatment-of-coronavirus-disease-in-shanghai-2019
- 26 Gautret P, Lagier JC, Parola P. et al Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin as a treatment of COVID-19: results of an open-label non-randomized clinical trial. Int J Antimicrob Agents 2020; (e-pub ahead of print) DOI: 10.1016/j.ijantimicag.2020.105949.