Combined Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting, Aortic, and Lung Carcinoma Surgery
27 December 2019
14 March 2020
22 May 2020 (online)
Background Patients presenting with several cardiothoracic conditions that need to be addressed surgically require individual decision making as evidence remains inconclusive and combined surgical procedures carry an elevated perioperative risk.
Case Description We present the case and management of a 73-year-old male with myocardial infarction due to three-vessel disease and left main stem stenosis, calcified aortic aneurysm, and right-sided non-small cell lung carcinoma.
Conclusion High-risk combined surgery should be indicated with scrutiny after individual consideration by an experienced heart team.
- 1 Sousa-Uva M, Neumann FJ, Ahlsson A. , et al; ESC Scientific Document Group. 2018 ESC/EACTS guidelines on myocardial revascularization. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2019; 55 (01) 4-90
- 2 S3 Guideline Bronchial Carcinoma AWMF. (February 2018). Available at: https://www.awmf.org/uploads/tx_szleitlinien/020007OL_l_S3_Lungenkarzinom_2018-03.pdf . Accessed October 27, 2019
- 3 Yamamoto S, Yoshimasu T, Nishimura Y. , et al. In vitro evaluation of the effect of cardiac surgery on cancer cell proliferation. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2011; 17 (03) 260-266
- 4 Lorusso R, Vizzardi E, Johnson DM. , et al. Cardiac surgery in adult patients with remitted or active malignancies: a review of preoperative screening, surgical management and short- and long-term postoperative results. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2018; 54 (01) 10-18
- 5 Hosoba S, Hanaoka J, Suzuki T. , et al. Early to midterm results of cardiac surgery with concomitant pulmonary resection. Ann Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 2012; 18 (01) 8-11
- 6 Prokakis C, Koletsis E, Apostolakis E. , et al. Combined heart surgery and lung tumor resection. Med Sci Monit 2008; 14 (03) CS17-CS21
- 7 Vojácek J, Hlubocký J, Burkert J. , et al. Simultaneous cardiac and thoracic operations [in German]. Zentralbl Chir 2006; 131 (03) 200-205
- 8 Tourmousoglou CE, Apostolakis E, Dougenis D. Simultaneous occurrence of coronary artery disease and lung cancer: what is the best surgical treatment strategy?. Interact Cardiovasc Thorac Surg 2014; 19 (04) 673-681