Subscribe to RSS
Hypercoagulation and Antithrombotic Treatment in Coronavirus 2019: A New Challenge
01 April 2020
13 April 2020
29 April 2020 (online)
The novel coronavirus 2019 (COVID-19) is clinically characterized by severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2), which is responsible for a high number of patients needing mechanical ventilation or intensive care units treatment and for the elevated mortality risk. A link between COVID-19 and multiorgan failure may be dependent on the fact that most COVID-19 patients are complicated by pneumonia, which is known to be associated with early changes of clotting and platelet activation and artery dysfunction; these changes may implicate in thrombotic-related events such as myocardial infarction and ischemic stroke. Recent data showed that myocardial injury compatible with coronary ischemia may be detectable in SARS-CoV-2 patients and laboratory data exploring clotting system suggest the presence of a hypercoagulation state. Thus, we performed a systematic review of COVID-19 literature reporting measures of clotting activation to assess if changes are detectable in this setting and their relationship with clinical severity. Furthermore, we discussed the biologic plausibility of the thrombotic risk in SARS-CoV-2 and the potential use of an antithrombotic treatment.
- 1 Corrales-Medina VF, Musher DM, Shachkina S, Chirinos JA. Acute pneumonia and the cardiovascular system. Lancet 2013; 381 (9865): 496-505
- 2 Violi F, Cangemi R, Falcone M. , et al; SIXTUS (Thrombosis-Related Extrapulmonary Outcomes in Pneumonia) Study Group. Cardiovascular complications and short-term mortality risk in community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis 2017; 64 (11) 1486-1493
- 3 Cangemi R, Casciaro M, Rossi E. , et al; SIXTUS Study Group; SIXTUS Study Group. Platelet activation is associated with myocardial infarction in patients with pneumonia. J Am Coll Cardiol 2014; 64 (18) 1917-1925
- 4 Cangemi R, Della Valle P, Calvieri C. , et al; SIXTUS Study Group. Low-grade endotoxemia and clotting activation in the early phase of pneumonia. Respirology 2016; 21 (08) 1465-1471
- 5 Clerkin KJ, Fried JA, Raikhelkar J. , et al. Coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) and cardiovascular disease. Circulation 2020; DOI: 10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.120.046941.
- 6 Shi S, Qin M, Shen B. , et al Association of cardiac injury with mortality in hospitalized patients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China. JAMA Cardiol 2020; DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.0950.
- 7 Guo T, Fan Y, Chen M. , et al. Cardiovascular implications of fatal outcomes of patients with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). JAMA Cardiol 2020; DOI: 10.1001/jamacardio.2020.1017.
- 8 Metlay JP, Waterer GW, Long AC. , et al. Diagnosis and treatment of adults with community-acquired pneumonia. An Official Clinical Practice Guideline of the American Thoracic Society and Infectious Diseases Society of America. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2019; 200 (07) e45-e67
- 9 Yang W, Cao Q, Qin L. , et al. Clinical characteristics and imaging manifestations of the 2019 novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19): a multi-center study in Wenzhou city, Zhejiang, China. J Infect 2020; 80 (04) 388-393
- 10 Chen N, Zhou M, Dong X. , et al. Epidemiological and clinical characteristics of 99 cases of 2019 novel coronavirus pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a descriptive study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223): 507-513
- 11 Huang C, Wang Y, Li X. , et al. Clinical features of patients infected with 2019 novel coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Lancet 2020; 395 (10223): 497-506
- 12 Zhou F, Yu T, Du R. , et al. Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet 2020; 395 (10229): 1054-1062
- 13 Yang X, Yu Y, Xu J. , et al. Clinical course and outcomes of critically ill patients with SARS-CoV-2 pneumonia in Wuhan, China: a single-centered, retrospective, observational study. Lancet Respir Med 2020 (S2213-2600(20)30079-5):
- 14 Han H, Yang L, Liu R. , et al. Prominent changes in blood coagulation of patients with SARS-CoV-2 infection. Clin Chem Lab Med 2020; DOI: 10.1515/cclm-2020-0188/l.
- 15 Tang N, Li D, Wang X. , et al. Abnormal coagulation parameters are associated with poor prognosis in patients with novel coronavirus pneumonia. J Thromb Haemost 2020; 18 (04) 844-847
- 16 Wu C, Chen X, Cai Y. , et al. Risk factors associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome and death in patients with coronavirus disease 2019 pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA Intern Med 2020 . Doi: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.0994
- 17 Guan WJ, Liang WH, Zhao Y. , et al. China Medical Treatment Expert Group for Covid-19. Comorbidity and its impact on 1590 patients with Covid-19 in China: a nationwide analysis. Eur Respir J 2020; 2000547
- 18 Lippi G, Favaloro EJ. D-dimer is associated with severity of coronavirus disease 2019: a pooled analysis. Thromb Haemost 2020 . Doi: 10.1055/s-0040-1709650
- 19 Lippi G, Plebani M, Henry BM. Thrombocytopenia is associated with severe coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) infections: a meta-analysis. Clin Chim Acta 2020; 506: 145-148
- 20 Violi F, Ferro D. Clotting activation and hyperfibrinolysis in cirrhosis: implication for bleeding and thrombosis. Semin Thromb Hemost 2013; 39 (04) 426-433
- 21 Wang D, Hu B, Hu C. , et al. Clinical characteristics of 138 hospitalized patients with 2019 novel coronavirus-infected pneumonia in Wuhan, China. JAMA. 2020; DOI: 10.1001/jamainternmed.2020.0994.
- 22 Guan WJ, Ni ZY, Hu Y. , et al; China Medical Treatment Expert Group for Covid-19. Clinical characteristics of coronavirus disease 2019 in China. N Engl J Med 2020
- 23 Cangemi R, Pignatelli P, Carnevale R. , et al. SIXTUS Study Group. Low-grade endotoxemia, gut permeability and platelet activation in community-acquired pneumonia. J Infect 2016; 73 (02) 107-114
- 24 Loffredo L, Cangemi R, Perri L. , et al; SIXTUS study group; SIXTUS (thromboSIs-related eXTra-pulmonary oUtcomeS in pneumonia) study group. Impaired flow-mediated dilation in hospitalized patients with community-acquired pneumonia. Eur J Intern Med 2016; 36: 74-80
- 25 Violi F, Carnevale R, Calvieri C. , et al; SIXTUS study group. Nox2 up-regulation is associated with an enhanced risk of atrial fibrillation in patients with pneumonia. Thorax 2015; 70 (10) 961-966
- 26 Violi F, Pignatelli P. Platelet NOX, a novel target for anti-thrombotic treatment. Thromb Haemost 2014; 111 (05) 817-823
- 27 Violi F, Carnevale R, Loffredo L, Pignatelli P, Gallin JI. NADPH Oxidase-2 and Atherothrombosis: Insight From Chronic Granulomatous Disease. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2017; 37 (02) 218-225
- 28 To EE, Vlahos R, Luong R. , et al. Endosomal NOX2 oxidase exacerbates virus pathogenicity and is a target for antiviral therapy. Nat Commun 2017; 8 (01) 69
- 29 Dempfle CE. Use of D-dimer assays in the diagnosis of venous thrombosis. Semin Thromb Hemost 2000; 26 (06) 631-641
- 30 Falcone M, Russo A, Cangemi R. , et al. Lower mortality rate in elderly patients with community-onset pneumonia on treatment with aspirin. J Am Heart Assoc 2015; 4 (01) e001595
- 31 Fan E, Brodie D, Slutsky AS. Acute respiratory distress syndrome: advances in diagnosis and treatment. JAMA 2018; 319 (07) 698-710
- 32 Singer M, Deutschman CS, Seymour CW. , et al. The third international consensus definitions for sepsis and septic shock (sepsis-3). JAMA 2016; 315 (08) 801-810
- 33 Aujesky D, Fine MJ. The pneumonia severity index: a decade after the initial derivation and validation. Clin Infect Dis 2008; 47 (Suppl. 03) S133-S139
- 34 Myint PK, Kamath AV, Vowler SL, Maisey DN, Harrison BD. The CURB (confusion, urea, respiratory rate and blood pressure) criteria in community-acquired pneumonia (CAP) in hospitalised elderly patients aged 65 years and over: a prospective observational cohort study. Age Ageing 2005; 34 (01) 75-77
- 35 Tang N, Bai H, Chen X, Gong J, Li D, Sun Z. Anticoagulant treatment is associated with decreased mortality in severe coronavirus disease 2019 patients with coagulopathy. J Thromb Haemost 2020; DOI: 10.1111/jth.14817.
- 36 Loffredo L, Arienti V, Vidili G. , et al. AURELIO Study Group. Low rate of intrahospital deep venous thrombosis in acutely ill medical patients: results from the AURELIO study. Mayo Clin Proc 2019; 94 (01) 37-43