Homoeopathy in the Treatment of Chronic Spontaneous Urticaria: A Case Report
03 June 2020 (online)
Urticaria or nettle rash is an inflammatory clinical condition principally due to hypersensitive reaction manifest as wheals and/or angioedema at various locations of the body. Chronic spontaneous urticaria constitutes a small percentage among the class of urticaria in which recurrence persists for more than 6 months without any identifiable cause. However, mostly, it is idiopathic, and very rarely it represents some serious internal disease. Clinical history and some special biochemical markers help in making the diagnosis.
A patient suffering from chronic spontaneous urticaria of 2-year duration, which showed a poor response to conventional treatment, has been presented here. After a thorough clinical evaluation, Hepar sulphuris 6c, and in successive visits, Hepar sulphuris 30c were prescribed when needed. The response and severity of the case were evaluated by using patient-reported Visual Analogue Scale and Chronic Urticaria Quality of Life Scale at the baseline and subsequent visits. The case responded very well with no further recurrence in successive 6 months after the completion of the treatment.
This case report demonstrates improvement of symptoms as well as the reduction in the recurrence of such chronic and complicated cases of urticaria with homoeopathic treatment.
Keywordschronic spontaneous urticaria - VAS - Chronic Urticaria Quality of Life Scale - homoeopathy - Hepar sulphuris - case report
The study was verbally explained to the patient, and written consent was obtained. However, the patient was free to withdraw from the study at any time. For ethical purposes, if any poor prognosis was suspected, then he was to be referred to a regional centre as per Government norms.
- 1 Kanani A, Betschel SD, Warrington R. Urticaria and angioedema. Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol 2018; 14 (02) (Suppl. 02) 59
- 2 Greaves M. Chronic urticaria. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2000; 105 (04) 664-672
- 3 Bernstein JA, Lang DM, Khan DA. , et al. The diagnosis and management of acute and chronic urticaria: 2014 update. J Allergy Clin Immunol 2014; 133 (05) 1270-1277
- 4 Zuberbier T, Balke M, Worm M, Edenharter G, Maurer M. Epidemiology of urticaria: a representative cross-sectional population survey. Clin Exp Dermatol 2010; 35 (08) 869-873
- 5 Sánchez-Borges M, Asero R, Ansotegui IJ. , et al; WAO Scientific and Clinical Issues Council. Diagnosis and treatment of urticaria and angioedema: a worldwide perspective. World Allergy Organ J 2012; 5 (11) 125-147
- 6 Close S. The Genius of Homœopathy: Lectures and Essays on Homœopathic Philosophy. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2005: 192-193
- 7 Hahnemann S. The Organon of the Medical Art, edited by Wenda Brewster O'Reilly. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2010
- 8 Jáuregui I, Ortiz de Frutos FJ, Ferrer M. , et al. Assessment of severity and quality of life in chronic urticaria. J Investig Allergol Clin Immunol 2014; 24 (02) 80-86
- 9 2019 ICD-10-CM Diagnosis Code L50.4: Vibratory urticaria [Internet]. https://www.icd10data.com/ICD10CM/Codes/L00-L99/L49-L54/L50-/L50.4 . Accessed August 30, 2019
- 10 Kent JT. Repertory of the Homoeopathic Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2004: 1321-1322
- 11 Tyler ML. Homoeopathic Drug Pictures. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2008: 401-407
- 12 Clarke JH. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica. New Delhi: B. Jain; 2018: 894-902
- 13 Fine LM, Bernstein JA. Guideline of chronic urticaria beyond. Allergy Asthma Immunol Res 2016; 8 (05) 396-403
- 14 Moolani Y, Lynde C, Sussman G. Advances in understanding and managing chronic urticaria. F1000 Res 2016; 5: 177
- 15 Sharma R, Kumar S, Vimal VK, Manchanda RK. Assessment of the effectiveness of homoeopathic remedies in improving quality of life of chronic urticaria patients in a typical clinical setting. Indian J Res Homoeopathy 2018; 12: 139-148
- 16 Baiardini I, Pasquali M, Braido F. , et al. A new tool to evaluate the impact of chronic urticaria on quality of life: chronic urticaria quality of life questionnaire (CU-QoL). Allergy 2005; 60 (08) 1073-1078