Endoscopic Biliary Stenting for Portal Biliopathy Perforating Paracholedochal Collateral: A Rare ComplicationSources of Funding None.
Extrahepatic portal venous obstruction (EHPVO) usually presents with upper gastrointestinal bleed in the first decade of life. Symptomatic portal hypertensive biliopathy is seen in a minority of patients with EHPVO. With use of endoscopic intervention, biliary drainage is maintained in these patients. Various procedural complications have been linked while performing endoscopic retrograde cholangiography and stenting; however, these are managed conservatively. Here, we are highlighting a case of EHPVO with symptomatic portal biliopathy in which the patient bled from paracholedochal collateral after biliary stenting and was managed successfully with a multidisciplinary approach.
06 July 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Sarin SK, Agarwal SR. Extrahepatic portal vein obstruction. Semin Liver Dis 2002; 22 (01) 43-58
- 2 Dhiman RK, Behera A, Chawla YK, Dilawari JB, Suri S. Portal hypertensive biliopathy. Gut 2007; 56 (07) 1001-1008
- 3 Al-Akwaa AM, Elsadig M, Al-Fayaa AE, Al-Shehri MD. Portal hypertensive biliopathy presents with massive bleeding during ERCP after balloon sphincteroplasty in a noncirrhotic saudi sickler patient. Case Rep Med 2017; 2017: 4163919
- 4 Layec S, D’Halluin PN, Pagenault M, Bretagne JF. Massive hemobilia during extraction of a covered self-expandable metal stent in a patient with portal hypertensive biliopathy. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 70 (03) 555-556, discussion 556
- 5 Dhiman RK, Puri P, Chawla Y. et al. Biliary changes in extrahepatic portal venous obstruction: compression by collaterals or ischemic?. Gastrointest Endosc 1999; 50 (05) 646-652
- 6 Chandra R, Kapoor D, Tharakan A, Chaudhary A, Sarin SK. Portal biliopathy. J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2001; 16 (10) 1086-1092
- 7 Agarwal AK, Sharma D, Singh S, Agarwal S, Girish SP. Portal biliopathy: a study of 39 surgically treated patients. HPB (Oxford) 2011; 13 (01) 33-39
- 8 Oo YH, Olliff S, Haydon G, Thorburn D. Symptomatic portal biliopathy: a single centre experience from the UK. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 2009; 21 (02) 206-213
- 9 Mutignani M, Shah SK, Bruni A, Perri V, Costamagna G. Endoscopic treatment of extrahepatic bile duct strictures in patients with portal biliopathy carries a high risk of haemobilia: report of 3 cases. Dig Liver Dis 2002; 34 (08) 587-591