Ten Tips and Tricks for Performing Alcohol Septal Ablation in Patients with Hypertrophic Obstructive Cardiomyopathy
Alcohol septal ablation (ASA) is an effective interventional therapeutic strategy to reduce or eliminate left ventricular outflow tract obstruction in patients with hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy (HOCM). Although ASA was introduced 25 years ago, there are still no available guidelines to follow. Therefore, most interventional cardiologists rely on their own experience, which is often limited by a relatively low number of performed procedures. This paper presents ten tips and tricks to safe and effective ASA for HOCM.
23 April 2020 (online)
© 2020. Thieme. All rights reserved.
Thieme Medical Publishers
333 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, USA.
- 1 Veselka J, Faber L, Liebregts M. , et al. Short- and long-term outcomes of alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy in patients with mild left ventricular hypertrophy: a propensity score matching analysis. Eur Heart J 2019; 40 (21) 1681-1687
- 2 Elliott PM, Anastasakis A, Borger MA. , et al; Authors/Task Force members. 2014 ESC Guidelines on diagnosis and management of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Eur Heart J 2014; 35 (39) 2733-2779
- 3 Gersh BJ, Maron BJ, Bonow RO. , et al; American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice Guidelines; American Association for Thoracic Surgery; American Society of Echocardiography; American Society of Nuclear Cardiology; Heart Failure Society of America; Heart Rhythm Society; Society for Cardiovascular Angiography and Interventions; Society of Thoracic Surgeons. 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Circulation 2011; 124 (24) e783-e831
- 4 Veselka J, Lawrenz T, Stellbrink C. , et al. Early outcomes of alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: a European multicenter and multinational study. Catheter Cardiovasc Interv 2014; 84 (01) 101-107
- 5 Veselka J, Faber L, Jensen MK. , et al. Effects of institutional experience on outcomes of alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. Can J Cardiol 2018; 34 (01) 16-22
- 6 Veselka J, Tomašov P, Januška J, Krejčí J, Adlová R. Obstruction after alcohol septal ablation is associated with cardiovascular mortality events. Heart 2016; 102 (22) 1793-1796
- 7 Veselka J, Jensen M, Liebregts M. , et al. Alcohol septal ablation in patients with severe hypertrophy. Heart 2020; 106: 462-466
- 8 Veselka J, Jensen MK, Liebregts M. , et al. Long-term clinical outcome after alcohol septal ablation for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy: results from the Euro-ASA registry. Eur Heart J 2016; 37 (19) 1517-1523
- 9 Cooper RM, Binukrishnan SR, Shahzad A, Hasleton J, Sigwart U, Stables RH. Computed tomography angiography planning identifies the target vessel for optimum infarct location and improves clinical outcome in alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy. EuroIntervention 2017; 12 (18) e2194-e2203
- 10 Spacek M, Zemanek D, Tomasov P, Veselka J. Early opening of dormant septal collaterals during alcohol septal ablation: a possible hazard of remote necrosis. Can J Cardiol 2013; 29 (11) 1531.e5-1531.e7
- 11 Veselka J, Krejčí J, Tomašov P. , et al. Outcome of patients after alcohol septal ablation with permanent pacemaker implanted for periprocedural complete heart block. Int J Cardiol 2014; 171 (02) e37-e38
- 12 Veselka J, Duchonová R, Procházková S, Pálenícková J, Sorajja P, Tesař D. Effects of varying ethanol dosing in percutaneous septal ablation for obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy on early hemodynamic changes. Am J Cardiol 2005; 95 (05) 675-678
- 13 Veselka J. Alcohol septal ablation for hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy: a review of the literature. Med Sci Monit 2007; 13 (04) RA62-RA68