A Chestnut–A Difficult Challenge for an Endoscopist
True foreign bodies are a frequent problem in mentally disabled adults and since ingestion is usually intentional, retrieval can be difficult due to unusual, previously in practice not encountered objects. This case illustrates the laborious effort of removing an esophageal foreign body (FB), a chestnut, in a mentally disabled adult.
04 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Conway WC, Sugawa C, Ono H, Lucas CE. Upper GI foreign body: an adult urban emergency hospital experience. Surg Endosc 2007; 21 (03) 455-460
- 2 Palta R, Sahota A, Bemarki A, Salama P, Simpson N, Laine L. Foreign-body ingestion: characteristics and outcomes in a lower socioeconomic population with predominantly intentional ingestion. Gastrointest Endosc 2009; 69 (3 Pt 1) 426-433
- 3 Webb WA. Management of foreign bodies of the upper gastrointestinal tract: update. Gastrointest Endosc 1995; 41 (01) 39-51
- 4 Ikenberry SO, Jue TL, Anderson MA. et al. ASGE Standards of Practice Committee. Management of ingested foreign bodies and food impactions. Gastrointest Endosc 2011; 73 (06) 1085-1091
- 5 Birk M, Bauerfeind P, Deprez PH. et al. Removal of foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract in adults: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Clinical Guideline. Endoscopy 2016; 48 (05) 489-496
- 6 Mosca S, Manes G, Martino R. et al. Endoscopic management of foreign bodies in the upper gastrointestinal tract: report on a series of 414 adult patients. Endoscopy 2001; 33 (08) 692-696
- 7 Li ZS, Sun ZX, Zou DW, Xu GM, Wu RP, Liao Z. Endoscopic management of foreign bodies in the upper-GI tract: experience with 1088 cases in China. Gastrointest Endosc 2006; 64 (04) 485-492
- 8 Athanassiadi K, Gerazounis M, Metaxas E, Kalantzi N. Management of esophageal foreign bodies: a retrospective review of 400 cases. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 2002; 21 (04) 653-656
- 9 Ginsberg GG. Management of ingested foreign objects and food bolus impactions. Gastrointest Endosc 1995; 41 (01) 33-38
- 10 Matern U, Aschendorff A, Krebs A, Kohlberger E, Rückauer KD. A new method for extracting wooden foreign bodies from the upper esophagus. Endoscopy 2000; 32 (12) 1002-1003