Mandibular Premolars with Bifurcated Canals
Each tooth in the permanent dentition presents with extensive variation in the anatomy of root, along with variation in the number of canals in individual roots. The existence of accessory canals should be considered in all teeth since failure to clean and fill them can have poor impact on prognosis. Thus, it is extremely important for a clinician to keep abreast with the complete assessment of the anatomy and morphology of root canal system for a favorable treatment outcome. Mandibular premolars often present with a variation in anatomy and, thus, considered as a perplexity to the endodontist. This article reports clinical cases of bifurcated canals in mandibular first premolars.
02 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Hoen MM, Pink FE. Contemporary endodontic retreatments: an analysis based on clinical treatment findings. J Endod 2002; 28 (12) 834-836
- 2 Slowey RR. Root canal anatomy. Road map to successful endodontics. Dent Clin North Am 1979; 23 (04) 555-573
- 3 Scott R, Turner C. The Anthropology of Modern Human Teeth. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press; 2000
- 4 England Jr MC, Hartwell GR, Lance JR. Detection and treatment of multiple canals in mandibular premolars. J Endod 1991; 17 (04) 174-178
- 5 Kottoor J, Albuquerque D, Velmurugan N, Kuruvilla J. Root anatomy and root canal configuration of human permanent mandibular premolars: a systematic review. Anat Res Int 2013; 2013: 254250
- 6 Zillich R, Dowson J. Root canal morphology of mandibular first and second premolars. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1973; 36 (05) 738-744
- 7 Vertucci FJ. Root canal morphology of mandibular premolars. J Am Dent Assoc 1978; 97 (01) 47-50
- 8 Ingle J, Bakland L. Endodontics. 6th ed. Hamilton: ON: Becker; 2008
- 9 Sert S, Bayirli GS. Evaluation of the root canal configurations of the mandibular and maxillary permanent teeth by gender in the Turkish population. J Endod 2004; 30 (06) 391-398
- 10 Trope M, Elfenbein L, Tronstad L. Mandibular premolars with more than one root canal in different race groups. J Endod 1986; 12 (08) 343-345
- 11 Martínez-Lozano MA, Forner-Navarro L, Sánchez-Cortés JL. Analysis of radiologic factors in determining premolar root canal systems. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 1999; 88 (06) 719-722