Oral Hygiene Awareness on Patients Attending Dental OPD in A.B. Shetty Memorial Institute of Dental Sciences
Background- Oral hygiene is highly personalised concept and major public health concern that relies on an individual's culture and socio-economic status. Hence, it is imperative that health services should be made available to all rural/semi urban areas as well. Thus it is important to create awareness through various public health programs regarding oral hygiene and its effects on general health in order to change the total perspective of the patients towards dental problems to lead a healthy quality life.
Objective- Thus the aim of this study is to assess the oral hygiene awareness and their knowledge on different oral hygiene practices.
Materials and Methods- A total of 369 patients participated in the study.. The patients were interviewed on questionnaire basis. A self-reported questionnaire consisting of 26 multiple choice questions written in English were given to the patients.
Statistical analysis- Descriptive statistics such as frequency and percentage was used to assess the oral health awareness and oral hygiene practice among the subjects who are attending A.B Shetty Memorial Institute Of Dental Sciences, Derlakatte, Mangalore.
Results- The result of this study showed an acute lack of oral hygiene awareness and limited knowledge of oral hygiene practices. Most of the patients were not aware of the relationship between systemic and general health.
Conclusion- Hence there is an urgent need to educate and motivate the patients for better oral hygiene awareness and practises and conduct various health programs for the same.
Received: 16 August 2017
Accepted: 13 December 2017
21 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Singh A, Gambhir RS, Singh S, Kapoor V, Singh J. Oral health: How much do you know? - A study on knowledge, attitude and practices of patients visiting a North Indian dental school. Eur J Dent 2014;8:63-7.
- 2 Ashley FP. Role of dental health education in preventive dentistry. In prevention of dental disease. 3rd ed. In: Murray JJ, editor. Oxford: Oxford University Press; 1996. p. 406-14.
- 3 Petersen PE, Bourgeois D, Ogawa H, Estupinan-Day S, Ndiaye C. The global burden of oral diseases and risks to oral health. Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 2005; 83: 661-9.
- 4 Patil AV, Somasundaram KV, Goyal RC. Current health scenario inrural India. Aust J Rural Health 2002;10:129-35.
- 5 Gill M, Pal K, Gambhir RS. Oral hygiene practices, attitude, and access barriers to oral health among patients visiting a rural dental college in North India. J Dent Res Rev 2014;1:114-7.
- 6 Jain N, Mitra D, Ashok KP, Dundappa J, Soni S, Ahmed S. Oral hygieneawareness and practice among patients attending OPD at Vyas Dental College and Hospital, Jodhpur. J Indian SocPeriodontol 2012;16:524-8.
- 7 Cosmetic dentistry guide: The consumer usage and attitudes survey: Available from: http://www.cosmeticdentistryguide.co.uk/news/survey-indicates-poor-standards-oforal-health-inindia-9321 [Last accessed on 2010 Apr 16].
- 8 Al-Shammari KF, Al-Ansari JM, Al-Khabbaz AK, Dashti A, Honkala EJ. Selfreported oral hygiene habits and oral health problems of Kuwaiti adults. Med PrincPract 2007;16:15-21.
- 9 Zhu L, Petersen PE, Wang HY, Bian JY, Zhang BX. Oral health knowledge, attitudes and behaviour of adults in China. Int Dent J 2005;55:231-41.
- 10 Jamjoom HM. Preventive Oral Health Knowledge and Practice in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. J KAU: Med Sci 2001;9:17-25.
- 11 Hamilton ME, Coulby WM. Oral health knowledge and habits of senior elementary school students. J Publ Health Dent 1991;51:212-8.
- 12 Kapoor D, Gill S, Singh A, Kaur I, Kapoor P. Oral hygiene awareness and practice amongst patients visiting the Department of Periodontology at a Dental College and Hospital in North India. Indian J Dent 2014;5:64-8.
- 13 Miyazaki H, Sakao S, Katoh Y, Takehara T. Oral malodor in the general population of Japan. Bad Breath: Research Perspectives. Israel: Ramot Publishing: Tel Aviv University; 1995. p. 119-36.
- 14 Kumar S. Oral Hygiene Awareness among Two Non Professional College Students in Chennai, India- A Pilot Study. Adv Life SciTechnol 2012;5:31-6.
- 15 Jiang H, Petersen PE, Peng B, Tai B, Bian Z. Self-assessed dental health, oral health practices, and general health behaviors in Chinese urban adolescents. ActaOdontolScand 2005;63:343-52.
- 16 Karim A. S. Oral health Knowledge, attitudes and behaviour among a sample of Kurdish people in Sulaimani governorate. IOSR-JDMS. 2015; 14 (11): 72-77