Clinical effect of pro-biotic containing Bacillus coagulans on plaque induced gingivitis : A randomised clinical pilot study
Objectives: To evaluate the clinical effect of Bacillus coagulanson plaque induced gingivitis.
Method: Thirty subjects with plaque induced were enrolled in the study. At baseline, Gingival Index (GI) and Plaque Index (PI) were assessed. Saliva samples were collected for glutathione peroxidise (GPx) activity analysis and to determine load of lactobacilli. Subsequently participants were randomly provided with chewable tablets to be consumed 3 X daily for 3 month containing 100 million colony forming units (CFU)/tablet of B. coagulans or without B. coagulans (placebo). After3 months, recording of GI, Pl and saliva sampling were repeated.
Results: At baseline, mean GI, and mean Pl did not differ significantly between both groups. At re-evaluation, mean GI, and bleeding on probing of the probiotic group were both significantly (p < 0.0001) lower than in the placebo group. Mean PI level did not differ significantly between the groups. In the probiotic group, mean glutathione peroxide activity (Gpx)was significantly (p < 0.02) lower than in the placebo group at re-evaluation.
Conclusion: The consumption of probiotic containing Bacillus coagulans seems to modulate inflammatory response in plaque induced gingivitis.
Received: 22 June 2017
Accepted: 30 August 2017
22 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Needleman I, Suvan J, Moles DR, Pimlott J. A systematic review of professional mechanical plaque removal for prevention of periodontal diseases. J ClinPeriodontol 2005; 32 (Suppl. 6): 229–282.
- 2 Paes Batista da Silva, Moss K, Preisser J, Marchesan JT, Ward M, Offenbacher S. Microbial profiling in experimentally induced biofilm overgrowth among patients with various periodontal states. J Periodontol. 2016 Jan;87(1):27-35.
- 3 Takasaki AA, Aoki A, Mizutani K, Frank Schwarz F, Sculean A, Wang CY, Koshy G, Romanos G, Ishikawa I& Izumi Y.Application of antimicrobial photodynamic therapy in periodontal and peri-implant diseases. Periodontol 2000 2009; 51:109–140.
- 4 Teughels W, Durukan A, Ozcelik O, Pauwels M, Quirynen M &Haytac MC. Clinical and microbiological effects of Lactobacillus reuteri probiotics in the treatment of chronic periodontitis: a randomized placebo-controlled study. J ClinPeriodontol2013;40: 1025-35.
- 5 Hallstrom H, Lindgren S, Yucel-Lindberg T, Dahlen G, Renvert S, Twetman S. Effect of probiotic lozenges on inflammatory reactions and oral biofilm during experimental gingivitis. ActaOdontolScand2013; 71:828–833.
- 6 Bora PS P, Puri V, Bansal AK. Physicochemical Properties and Excipient Compatibility studies of Probiotic Bacillus coagulans Spores. Sci Pharm. 2009; 77; 625–637)
- 7 Nyangale EP, Farmer S, Cash HA, et al. Bacillus coagulans GBI-30, 6086 Modulates Faecalibacteriumprausnitzii in Older Men and Women. J Nutr. 2015;145(7):1446-1452.)
- 8 Fitzpatrick LR. Probiotics for the treatment of Clostridium difficile associated disease. World Journal of Gastrointestinal Pathophysiology 2013; 4(3): 47–52.
- 9 Teughels W, Loozen G, Quirynen M. Do probiotics offer opportunities to manipulate the periodontal oral microbiota? J ClinPeriodontol 2011;38(suppl 11): 159–177.
- 10 Löe H &Si lness J. Per iodontal disease in pregnancy. ActaOdontologicaScandinavica 1963; 21: 533-551.
- 11 Ramfjord S.P. Indices for prevalence and incidence of periodontal disease. J Periodontol 1959; 30: 51-59.
- 12 Ainamo J & Bay I. Problems and proposals for recording gingivitis and plaque. International Dental Journal 1975; 25: 229-235.
- 13 Silness J &Löe H. Periodontal disease in pregnancy II. Correlation between oral hygiene and periodontal condition . ActaOdontologicaScandinavica 1964; 24: 747-759.
- 14 Teughels, W., Essche, M., Sliepen, I. &Quirynen, M. Probiotics and oral healthcare. Periodontology 2000 2008;48: 111– 147.
- 15 Haukioja A. Probiotics and Oral Health. European Journal of Dentistry. 2010 July; 4(3); 348-355.
- 16 Krasse P, Carlsson B, Dahl C, Paulsson A, Nilsson A, Sinkiewicz G. Decreased gum bleeding and reduced gingivitis by the probiotic Lactobacillus reuteri. Swedish Dental Journal. 2006; 30(2): 55-60.
- 17 Shimauchi H, Mayanagi G, Nakaya S, Minamibuchi M, Ito Y, Yamaki K, Hirata H. Improvement of periodontal condition by probiotics with Lactobacillus salivarius WB21: a randomized, double-blind, placebocontrolled study. J ClinPeriodontol 2008; 35: 897-905.
- 18 Staab B, Eick S, Knöfler G, Jentsch H. The influence of a probiotic milk drink on the development of gingivitis: a pilot study. J ClinPeriodontol 2009; 36(10): 850-856.
- 19 Baltacioglu E, Akalin FA, Alver A, Balaban F, U¨nsal M, Karabulut E. Total antioxidant capacity and superoxide dismutase activity levels in serum and gingival crevicular fluid in post-menopausal women with chronic periodontitis. J ClinPeriodontol 2006; 33: 385–392.
- 20 Buduneli N, KardeSler L, ISik H, Willis CS, Hawkins SI, Kinane DF, Scott DA. Effects of smoking and gingival inflammation on salivary antioxidant capacity. J ClinPeriodontol 2006; 33: 159–164.
- 21 Caglar E, Kavaloglu SC, Kuscu OO, Sandalli N, Holgerson PL, Twetman S. Effect of chewing gums containing xylitol or probiotic bacteria on salivary mutans streptococci and Lactobacilli. Clin Oral Investig2007; 11(4):425-429.