Leiomyosarcoma : Case Report of a Rare Primary Smooth Muscle Tumour of the Thyroid Gland
Primary smooth muscle tumours of the thyroid gland are extremely rare neoplasms. There are concerns regarding the management of such disease due to its rarity. Around 22 cases have been reported in the literature till date. In this study, the case of a 63year old female patient who presented with a rapidly enlarging anterior neck mass over the period of 3 months is reported. The patient underwent thyroidectomy with tracheostomy and radiotherapy for the treatment of primary leiomyosarcoma of thyroid gland. Due to similar clinical presentation as anaplastic carcinoma, diagnosis of primary thyroid leiomyosarcomas is difficult and maybe misdiagnosed. Hence the combined assessment of clinical, imaging and pathological data is required.Immunohistochemical analysis is a gold standard for diagnosis. Diagnosis and treatment of the current patient with primary thyroid leiomyosarcomaand a comprehensive review of the relevant literature are presented herein
Received: 10 January 2017
Accepted: 03 February 2017
22 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Tran LM, Mark R, Meier R, Calcaterra TC, Parker RG: Sarcomas of the head and neck: prognostic factors and treatment strategies. Cancer 1992, 70:169–177
- 2 Amal B, Fatemi HE, Souaf I, Moumna K, Affaf A. A rare primary tumor of the thyroid gland: report a new case of leiomyosarcoma and literature review. Diagnostic Pathology .2013, 8:36
- 3 Ozaki O, Sugino K, Mimura T, Ito K, Tamai S, Hosoda Y. Primary Leiomyosarcoma of the Thyroid Gland. Japan J Surg . 1997, 27:177-180
- 4 Mansouri H, Gaye M, Errihani H, Kettani F, Gueddari IE. Leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland. ActaOto-Laryngologica .2008, 128: 335-336
- 5 Ege B, LeventogluS.Primaryleiomyosarcoma of the thyroid. J Korean Surg Soc. 2013, 85:43-46
- 6 Nemenqani D, Yaqoob N, Khoja H. Leiomyosarcoma Metastatic to the Thyroid Diagnosed by Fine Needle Aspiration Cytology. J Pak Med Assoc. 2010, 60:307-309
- 7 Ozaki O, Sugino K, Mimura T, Ito K, Tamai S and Hosoda Y: Primary leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland. Surg Today 27: 177-180, 1997
- 8 Takayama F, Takashima S, Matsuba H, Kobayashi S, Ito N and Sone S: MR imaging of primary leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland. Eur J Radiol 37: 36-41, 2001.
- 9 Day AS, Lou PJ, Lin WC and Chou CC: Over-expression of c-kit in a primary leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland. Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol 264: 705-708, 2007.
- 10 Mansouri H, Gaye M, Errihani H, Kettani F and Gueddari BE: Leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid gland. ActaOtolaryngol 128: 335-336, 2008.
- 11 Amal B, El Fatemi H, Souaf I, Moumna K and Affaf A: A rare primary tumor of the thyroid gland: Report a new case of leiomyosarcoma and literature review. DiagnPathol 8: 36, 2013.
- 12 Ege B and Leventoglu S: Primary leiomyosarcoma of the thyroid. J Korean SurgSoc 85: 43-46, 2013.
- 13 Mouaqit O, Belkacem Z, Ifrine L, Mohsine R and Belkouchi A: A rare tumor of the thyroid gland: Report on one case of leiomyosarcoma and review of literature. Updates Surg 66: 165-167, 2014.
- 14 Tanboon J and Keskool P: Leiomyosarcoma: A rare tumor of the thyroid. EndocrPathol 24: 136-143, 2013
- 15 Thompson LD, Wenig BM, Adair CF, Shmookler BM and Heffess CS: Primary smooth muscle tumors of the thyroid gland. Cancer 79: 579-587, 1997.