Study on Awareness about Self-Medications and it's Complications Among Homemakers
Self-medication is mostly advanced practice worldwide and often considered as a component of self-care .However, unlike other components of self-care, self-medication has the potential to do good as well as cause harm since it involves the use many kinds of drugs .The practice of selfmedication must be based on authentic medical information otherwise irrational use of drugs can cause wastage of resources, increased resistance of pathogens ,and also can lead to serious health hazards such as adverse drug reaction and prolonged morbidity
Objectives of the study
1. To assess the occurrence of self-medication among homemakers.
2. To find the level of awareness and it's complications of self-medication among the homemakers.
Research methodology of the study
Research design for the present study is descriptive research design. The design was used to assess the prevalence of self-medication among homemakers and their awareness about selfmedication and its complications, at selected areas in Nitte village. The purposive sampling technique is used to select samples for the study. Sample size was about 100 homemakers and the population belonged to selected areas in Nittte village.
Received: 01 December 2016
Accepted: 28 January 2017
22 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Suresh K Sharma. Nursing research and Statistics .2 nd edition .New delhi.Elsevier;2014
- 2 Banerjee TB. Self-medication practice among undergraduate medical students in tertiary care medical college,West Bengal. Journal of post graduate medicine.2012; 58(2);127-131.Available from http://www.jpymonline.com/article.asp.
- 3 ZafarSN, Reema S, Sana W, Jaleel k ,Talba V. Self-medication amongst university students of Karachi: Prevalence, knowledge and attitudes. Journal of Pakistan Medical Association.April 2008.
- 4 Maryam A H, Seham M, and Seham Ali. Self-medication among undergraduate students in Kuwait with reference to the role of the pharmacist. Journal of research in pharmacy practice.Volume:3, Issue :1, Pages:23 – 27.
- 5 Umar M Lawan,Isa S Abubakar, Abubakar M Jibo and Ahmed Rufai .Pattern,awareness and perceptions of health hazards associated with self-medication among adult residents of Kano metropolis, Northwestern Nigeria. Indian journal of community medicine: 38(3),Pages:144 – 151.
- 6 Devang P, Sattigeri BM, Kumar K, Brahmbhatt s. A survey on use of over -the -counter drugs medical students, nursing and clerical staff. International Journal of Research in Medical Sciences:1(1).
- 7 KP Osmene,A Lamikanra. A study on self-medication practice among university students in Southwestern Nigeria. Tropical of journal pharmaceutical research .Available from http://www.jptr.org.http://dx.doi.org/10.431/jtpr.v11i4.21.
- 8 Amareswara Reddy Gangula,Divyaja M,Gowthami Reddy V,Samjeeva Kumar.A study on assessment of self-medication among rural village population. Journal of applied pharmacy. July 2014:6(3).