Color Stability in TemporizationFunding None.
Introduction Provisional restoration refers to a prosthesis which is designed to enhance the esthetic value, or function for a short time, following which it is replaced by using a fixed prosthesis. Color stability is very important factor to be kept in mind during selection of provisional materials in aesthetically important areas. Although there are various studies which look into the issue of stability of color of provisional restorations, the results are contradictory and confusing. This study was planned to compare the color stability of commonly used provisional restorative materials after exposing them to various kinds of discolorants.
Materials and Methods This work evaluated the effect of five common beverages, including tea, on color changes of different provisional materials: 1) Polymethyl methacrylates (DPI); 2) Bisacryl composite (ProtempTM II–3M ESPE); 3) Light polymerized composite (Revotek LC–GC). Color measurement of all specimens was compared with the original values of each specimen prior to immersion.
Results Within the limitations of this study, it was concluded that:
a) There is no difference in color stability of provisional materials.
b) Only food dye produced a clinically appreciable color change, whereas color change by cola and coffee cannot be appreciated by humans and that of tea can be appreciated only by trained eyes.
10 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Burns DR, Beck DA, Nelson SK. Committee on Research in Fixed Prosthodontics of the Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics. A review of selected dental literature on contemporary provisional fixed prosthodontic treatment: report of the Committee on Research in Fixed Prosthodontics of the Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics. J Prosthet Dent 2003; 90 (05) 474-497
- 2 Doray PG, Eldiwany MS, Powers JM. Effect of resin surface sealers on improvement of stain resistance for a composite provisional material. J Esthet Restor Dent 2003; 15 (04) 244-249
- 3 Sham AS, Chu FC, Chai J, Chow TW. Color stability of provisional prosthodontic materials. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 91 (05) 447-452
- 4 Haselton DR, Diaz-Arnold AM, Dawson DV. Color stability of provisional crown and fixed partial denture resins. J Prosthet Dent 2005; 93 (01) 70-75
- 5 Ergün G, Mutlu-Sagesen L, Ozkan Y, Demirel E.. In vitro color stability of provisional crown and bridge restoration materials. Dent Mater J 2005; 24 (03) 342-350
- 6 Türker SB, Koçak A, Aktepe E. Effect of five staining solutions on the colour stability of two acrylics and three composite resins based provisional restorations. Eur J Prosthodont Restor Dent 2006; 14 (03) 121-125
- 7 Anthony HL. Dr Dent, Temperature rise in the pulp chamber during fabrication of provisional crowns. J Prosthet Dent 1989; (62) 622-626
- 8 Federick DR. The provisional fixed partial denture. J Prosthet Dent 1975; 34 (05) 520-526
- 9 Ulker M, Ulker HE, Zortuk M, Bulbul M, Tuncdemir AR, Bilgin MS. Effects of current provisional restoration materials on the viability of fibroblasts. Eur J Dent 2009; 3 (02) 114-119
- 10 Okubo SR, Kanawati A, Richards MW, Childress S. Evaluation of visual and instrument shade matching. J Prosthet Dent 1998; 80 (06) 642-648
- 11 Canay S, Hersek N, Tulunoğlu I, Uzun G. Evaluation of colour and hardness changes of soft lining materials in food colorant solutions. J Oral Rehabil 1999; 26 (10) 821-829
- 12 Sepúlveda-Navarro WF, Arana-Correa BE, Borges CP, Jorge JH, Urban VM, Campanha NH. Color stability of resins and nylon as denture base material in beverages. J Prosthodont 2011; 20 (08) 632-638
- 13 Ergun G, Nagas IC. Color stability of silicone or acrylic denture liners: an in vitro investigation. Eur J Dent 2007; 1 (03) 144-151
- 14 Um CM, Ruyter IE. Staining of resin-based veneering materials with coffee and tea. Quintessence Int 1991; 22 (05) 377-386
- 15 Crispin BJ, Caputo AA. Color stability of temporary restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent 1979; 42 (01) 27-33
- 16 Doray PG, Li D, Powers JM. Color stability of provisional restorative materials after accelerated aging. J Prosthodont 2001; 10 (04) 212-216
- 17 Doray PG, Wang X, Powers JM, Burgess JO. Accelerated aging affects color stability of provisional restorative materials. J Prosthodont 1997; 6 (03) 183-188
- 18 Yannikakis SA, Zissis AJ, Polyzois GL, Caroni C. Color stability of provisional resin restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent 1998; 80 (05) 533-539
- 19 Imirzalioglu P, Karacaer O, Yilmaz B, Ozmen I Msc. Color stability of denture acrylic resins and a soft lining material against tea, coffee, and nicotine. J Prosthodont 2010; 19 (02) 118-124
- 20 Anil N, Hekimoglu C, Sahin S. Color stability of heat-polymerized and autopolymerized soft denture liners. J Prosthet Dent 1999; 81 (04) 481-484
- 21 Yannikakis S, Zissis A, Polyzois G, Andreopoulos A. Evaluation of porosity in microwave-processed acrylic resin using a photographic method. J Prosthet Dent 2002; 87 (06) 613-619
- 22 Anusavice KJ, Phillips RW. Phillips’ Science of Dental Materials. 11th ed. St. Louis, Missouri: Saunders; 2003: 721-758
- 23 Compagnoni MA, Barbosa DB, de Souza RF, Pero AC. The effect of polymerization cycles on porosity of microwave-processed denture base resin. J Prosthet Dent 2004; 91 (03) 281-285
- 24 Gupta G, Gupta T. Evaluation of the effect of various beverages and food material on the color stability of provisional materials - An in vitro study. J Conserv Dent 2011; 14 (03) 287-292
- 25 Koumjian JH, Firtell DN, Nimmo A. Color stability of provisional materials in vivo. J Prosthet Dent 1991; 65 (06) 740-742
- 26 Guler AU, Yilmaz F, Kulunk T, Guler E, Kurt S. Effects of different drinks on stainability of resin composite provisional restorative materials. J Prosthet Dent 2005; 94 (02) 118-124
- 27 Rutkunas V, Sabaliauskas V, Mizutani H. Effects of different food colorants and polishing techniques on color stability of provisional prosthetic materials. Dent Mater J 2010; 29 (02) 167-176
- 28 Xu BT, Zhang B, Kang Y, Wang YN, Li Q. Applicability of CIELAB/CIEDE2000 formula in visual color assessments of metal ceramic restorations. J Dent 2012; 40 (Suppl. 01) e3-e9
- 29 Assunção WG, Barão VA, Pita MS, Goiato MC. Effect of polymerization methods and thermal cycling on color stability of acrylic resin denture teeth. J Prosthet Dent 2009; 102 (06) 385-392
- 30 Bonatti MR, Cunha TR, Regis RR, Silva-Lovato CH, Paranhos HF, de Souza RF. The effect of polymerization cycles on color stability of microwave-processed denture base resin. J Prosthodont 2009; 18 (05) 432-437
- 31 Patel SB, Gordan VV, Barrett AA, Shen C. The effect of surface finishing and storage solutions on the color stability of resin-based composites. J Am Dent Assoc 2004; 135 (05) 587-594
- 32 Silva PM, Acosta EJ, Jacobina M, Pinto L de R, Porto VC. Effect of repeated immersion solution cycles on the color stability of denture tooth acrylic resins. J Appl Oral Sci 2011; 19 (06) 623-627