An Unusual Triazole Synthesis from AuronesFinancial support for the acquisition of the diffractometer by National Science Foundation is acknowledged (MRI program, grant ID 1626549).
Received: 09 January 2020
Accepted after revision: 30 March 2020
20 April 2020 (online)
Attempts to prepare azido-substituted aurones via a copper-catalyzed azidation failed to afford the desired product, but instead resulted in an unusual triazole formation reaction. Further efforts noted that copper was not required for this reaction, but simply thermal treatment with sodium azide in a polar aprotic solvent. A wide range of substitution patterns were tolerated in this reaction to afford the interesting salicyl-substituted triazoles in modest to excellent yield. While the mechanism is not yet clear, a simple elimination/cyclization pathway seems unlikely given the failure of the reaction on the corresponding thioaurones, which feature an even better thiol leaving group. Regardless, the potential utility of these easily accessible, multifunctional compounds should engender further interest and applications.
- 1 Popava AV, Bondarenko SP, Frasinyuk MS. J. Heterocycl. Chem. 1019; 55: 285
- 2 Kumar GG, Vinod K. Res. J. Chem. Environ. 2014; 18: 73
- 3 Kafle A, Handy ST. Tetrahedron 2017; 73: 7024
- 4 Wilson RM, Voskresenska V. In Nitrenium Ions and Related Species in Photoaffinity Labeling, Wiley Series on Reactive Intermediate in Chemistry and Biology, Vol. 6. Falvey DE, Gudmundsdottir AD. Wiley; Hoboken: 2013: 77-115
- 5 CCDC 1832154 and 1832153 contain the supplementary crystallographic data for compound 5 and 10, respectively. The data can be obtained free of charge from The Cambridge Crystallographic Data Centre via www.ccdc.cam.ac.uk/getstructures.
- 6 Albert A, Taylor PJ. J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans. 2 1989; 1903
- 7 Li J, Zhang Y, Wang D, Wang W, Gao T, Wang L, Li J, Huang G, Chen B. Synlett 2010; 1617
- 8 Patonay T, Bognar R, Litkei G. Tetrahedron 1984; 40: 2555
- 9 Wang Z-P, He Y, Saho P-L. Org. Biomol. Chem. 2018; 16: 5422
- 10 Haouas A, Hamadi NB, Nsira A, Msadek M. J. Chem. Res. 2013; 435
- 11 Gottlieb HE, Kotlyar V, Nudelman A. J. Org. Chem. 1997; 62: 7512