Role of Silicea in Diabetic Foot Ulcer: A Retrospectively Analysed Case SeriesFunding Sources Funded by Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy under Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India.
09 April 2020 (online)
Background and Objectives Diabetic foot is a condition especially vulnerable to amputation because of frequent complications of peripheral neuropathy, infection and peripheral arterial disease. Diabetic foot problems are a major cause of hospitalisation and prolonged hospital stays, constituting 20% of those entering hospitals. If treatment is delayed or improper treatment is given, it leads to infection, gangrene and amputation. Homoeopathic literature reveals that Silicea is a useful medicine for ulcers, but there is dearth of systematic research in this area. This article is an effort to provide detailed information of potentised Silicea in reference to diabetic foot ulcer (DFU).
Method A prospective observational study was conducted by Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy at its Extension Clinical Research Unit, Hyderabad, from 2005 to 2009. From the study, cases where Silicea (n = 22) was indicated and prescribed were taken for retrospective analysis.
Results The analysis showed usefulness of Silicea in treating DFU. The baseline symptom score of DFU and sugar values were statistically analysed before and after treatment. The mean symptom scores at the baseline (8.41 ± 3.03) and at the end of treatment (0.27 ± 0.70) were found to be statistically significant (p = 0.001).
Conclusion The result of the role of Silicea in ulcer healing was found to be positive and encouraging. Further, to validate the effect of Silicea, randomised controlled trials can be undertaken.
Keywordscase series - diabetic foot ulcer - homoeopathy - retrospective - Silicea - silica - silicon dioxide
Statement of Ethics
The institutional ethical committee approval was taken prior to the initiation of the study. Written consent form was obtained from all the patients.
- 1 Jeffcoate WJ, Vileikyte L, Boyko EJ, Armstrong DG, Boulton AJM. Current challenges and opportunities in the prevention and management of diabetic foot ulcers. Diabetes Care 2018; 41 (04) 645-652
- 2 Patnaik PP, Das BB, Das KS, Sahoo N, Padhy L. A review article on diabetic foot. J Evidence Based Med Healthcare 2015; 2 (17) 2602-2611
- 3 Öri F, Dietrich R, Ganz C. , et al. Silicon-dioxide-polyvinylpyrrolidone as a wound dressing for skin defects in a murine model. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2017; 45 (01) 99-107
- 4 Quignard S, Coradin T, Powell JJ, Jugdaohsingh R. Silica nanoparticles as sources of silicic acid favoring wound healing in vitro. Colloids Surf B Biointerfaces 2017; 155: 530-537
- 5 Yang C-S, Yeh Cheng-Hsin, Tung Chun-Liang, Jiang Cheng-Hsiang, Yeh Ming-Long. Mechanical evaluation of silicone gel on wound healing of rat skin. Wounds 2014; 26 (02) E7-E14
- 6 Burt W. Medica PM. 3rd edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2005: 851-861
- 7 Clarke JH. Silica. A Dictionary of Practical Materia Medica Vol III, reprint edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2000: 1175-1177
- 8 Mathur KN. Silicea. Systematic Materia Medica of Homoeopathic Remedies. 3rd revised & enlarged edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2001: 831
- 9 Master Jamshed Farokh, Shah J, Kodia K, Petigara S, Naik R. Sandy Silicea. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2004: 5-6
- 10 O'connor JT. The American Homoeopathic Pharmacopeia. 2nd edition. New York: Boeriecke & Taefel.; 1883: 411-412
- 11 Hahnemann S. The Chronic Diseases, Their Peculiar Nature & Their Homoeopathic Cure, Vol II. Reprint ed. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers; 2000: 1397
- 12 Nayak C, Singh K, Singh H, Gupta J, Ali MS, Ponnam HB. A prospective observational study to ascertain the role of homoeopathic therapy in the management of diabetic foot ulcer. AJHM 2011; 104 (04) 166-176
- 13 Witko David. . CARA Professional © 1997, London, Miccant Ltd. Revised programme by John Stevenson; 1999
- 14 Boericke W. New Manual of Homoeopathic Material Medica and Repertory with Relationship of Remedies. First corrected, revised and updated edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 1998
- 15 Kent JT. Lectures on Homoeopathic Philosophy. Reprint 4th edition. New Delhi: B Jain Publishers (P) Ltd; 1997: 253-73