Effect of an Optical Whitening Toothpaste on Color Stability of Tooth-Colored Restorative Materials
Objectives This study aimed to assess the effect of an optical whitening toothpaste on color stability of microhybrid, nanofilled, and microfilled composite resins and resin-modified glass ionomer (RMGI) cement in comparison of two other toothpastes.
Materials and Methods In this experimental study, disc-shaped composite samples were fabricated. The samples were then polished using silicon carbide papers. Twenty-seven samples of each material were fabricated and subjected to colorimetry using a spectrophotometer. Each group of material was then divided into three subgroups for the application of conventional whitening and whitening containing blue covarine toothpastes. One operator brushed the samples with an electric soft toothbrush with circular motion twice a day, each time for 30 seconds. Colorimetry was performed at 0, 1, 7, 30, and 90 days.
Statistical Analysis Two-way analysis of variance (ANOVA), one-way ANOVA, and Tukey’s honestly significant difference (HSD) test were used for statistical analysis.
Results The interaction effect of type of restorative material and time on ∆E was not significant at baseline or 1 day (p > 0.05). The effect of type of toothpaste on ∆E was not significant at baseline or 1 day (p = 0.78) but the effect of type of material was significant (p < 0.05). The toothpastes had significantly different effects on ∆E of Z250 at all time points (p < 0.05) except for ∆E0–30 (p = 0.106). The toothpastes had significantly different effects on ∆E of Z350 and Gradia at all time points (p < 0.05). The same was true for RMGI except for ∆E0–7 (p = 0.43) and ∆E0–90 (p = 0.52). The majority of color changes caused by toothpastes were not clinically perceivable (∆E < 3.3), except for ∆E0–90 by the whitening toothpaste (∆E = 9), ∆E0–90 by the conventional toothpaste for Z350 (∆E = 3.9), and ∆E0–1 by the whitening toothpaste for RMGI (∆E = 3.7).
Conclusion The color change of all composite samples was not clinically perceivable (<3.3) at all time points, which shows that the tested toothpastes do not cause a significant change in color of composite materials.
Keywordsdental bleaching - dental materials - glass ionomer - composite resins - toothpastes - blue covarine
13 March 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Joiner A, Philpotts CJ, Alonso C, Ashcroft AT, Sygrove NJ. A novel optical approach to achieving tooth whitening. J Dent 2008; 36 (Suppl. 01) S8-S14
- 2 Alkhatib MN, Holt R, Bedi R. Age and perception of dental appearance and tooth colour. Gerodontology 2005; 22 (01) 32-36
- 3 Xiao J, Zhou XD, Zhu WC, Zhang B, Li JY, Xu X. The prevalence of tooth discolouration and the self-satisfaction with tooth colour in a Chinese urban population. J Oral Rehabil 2007; 34 (05) 351-360
- 4 Joiner A. The bleaching of teeth: a review of the literature. J Dent 2006; 34 (07) 412-419
- 5 Sarrett DC. Tooth whitening today. J Am Dent Assoc 2002; 133 (11) 1535-1538, quiz 1541
- 6 Berman LH. Intrinsic staining and hypoplastic enamel: etiology and treatment alternatives. Gen Dent 1982; 30 (06) 484-488
- 7 Joiner A. A silica toothpaste containing blue covarine: a new technological breakthrough in whitening. Int Dent J 2009; 59 (05) 284-288
- 8 Schwartz MS, Andrasik F. Biofeedback: A Practitioner’s Guide. New York: NY: Guilford Publications; 2017
- 9 Joiner A. Review of the extrinsic stain removal and enamel/dentine abrasion by a calcium carbonate and perlite containing whitening toothpaste. Int Dent J 2006; 56 (04) 175-180
- 10 Wülknitz P. Cleaning power and abrasivity of European toothpastes. Adv Dent Res 1997; 11 (04) 576-579
- 11 Joiner A. The cleaning of teeth. In: Handbook for Cleaning/Decontamination of Surfaces. 2007. 1. 371-405
- 12 Joiner A, Pickles MJ, Matheson JR, Weader E, Noblet L, Huntington E. Whitening toothpastes: effects on tooth stain and enamel. Int Dent J 2002; 52 S5 424-430
- 13 Joiner A. Whitening toothpastes: a review of the literature. J Dent 2010; 38 (Suppl. 02) e17-e24
- 14 Gerlach RW, Barker ML, Sagel PA. Objective and subjective whitening response of two self-directed bleaching systems. Am J Dent 2002; 15 (Spec No) 7A-12A
- 15 Gerlach RW, Gibb RD, Sagel PA. A randomized clinical trial comparing a novel 5.3% hydrogen peroxide whitening strip to 10%, 15%, and 20% carbamide peroxide tray-based bleaching systems. Compend Contin Educ Dent Suppl 2000; (29) S22-S28, quiz S42–S43
- 16 Kleber CJ, Putt MS, Nelson BJ. In vitro tooth whitening by a sodium bicarbonate/peroxide dentifrice. J Clin Dent 1998; 9 (01) 16-21
- 17 Goodson JM, Tavares M, Sweeney M. et al. Tooth whitening: tooth color changes following treatment by peroxide and light. J Clin Dent 2005; 16 (03) 78-82
- 18 Joiner A, Philpotts CJ, Ashcroft AT, Laucello M, Salvaderi A. In vitro cleaning, abrasion and fluoride efficacy of a new silica based whitening toothpaste containing blue covarine. J Dent 2008; 36 (Suppl. 01) S32-S37
- 19 Powers JM. Craig’s restorative dental materials. In: Mechanical Properties. United States: Mosby; 2006: 51-96
- 20 Al-Shalan T. Effect of whitening toothpastes on color stability of different restorative materials. Int J Medical Science Clinical Invention 2017; 4 (03) https://doi.org/10.18535/ijmsci/v4i3.13
- 21 Teixeira EC, Thompson JL, Piascik JR, Thompson JY. In vitro toothbrush-dentifrice abrasion of two restorative composites. J Esthet Restor Dent 2005; 17 (03) 172-180, discussion 181–182
- 22 Torres CR, Perote LC, Gutierrez NC, Pucci CR, Borges AB. Efficacy of mouth rinses and toothpaste on tooth whitening. Oper Dent 2013; 38 (01) 57-62
- 23 Dantas AA, Bortolatto JF, Roncolato Á. et al. Can a bleaching toothpaste containing Blue Covarine demonstrate the same bleaching as conventional techniques? An in vitro, randomized and blinded study. J Appl Oral Sci 2015; 23 (06) 609-613
- 24 Ashcroft AT, Cox TF, Joiner A. et al. Evaluation of a new silica whitening toothpaste containing blue covarine on the colour of anterior restoration materials in vitro. J Dent 2008; 36 (Suppl. 01) S26-S31
- 25 Collins LZ, Naeeni M, Platten SM. Instant tooth whitening from a silica toothpaste containing blue covarine. J Dent 2008; 36 (Suppl. 01) S21-S25
- 26 Eliades T, Eliades G, Silikas N, Watts DC. In vitro degradation of polyurethane orthodontic elastomeric modules. J Oral Rehabil 2005; 32 (01) 72-77
- 27 Tao D, Sun JN, Wang X. et al. In vitro and clinical evaluation of optical tooth whitening toothpastes. J Dent 2017; 67S: S25-S28