Subscribe to RSS
VARICELLA ZOSTER VIRAL RETINITIS IN A PATIENT WITH SYSTEMIC LUPUS ERYTHEMATOSIS
A young female a known case of systemic lupus erythematosus who underwent renal transplantation for end stage lupus nephritis was on long term immunosuppression for her systemic condition. She had an episode of varicella three months before she presented to us with ocular complaints in the right eye. She was diagnosed to have progressive outer retinal necrosis with a differential of cytomegaloviral retinitis in the right eye and treatment was initiated. She had begun to show improvement in visual acuity but within two weeks her systemic condition worsened rapidly and she succumbed to septic shock.
The ocular infection in an immunocompromised SLE patient can be a precursor of mortality as seen in our patient.
Due consideration is to be given for prophylactic treatment post varicella infection along with a multidisciplinary approach in managing the immunocompromised, to prevent devastating complications or mortality.
Article published online:
22 April 2020
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Sivaraj RR, Durrani OM, Denniston AK, Murray PI, Gordon C. Ocular manifestations of systemic lupus erythematosus. Rheumatology 2007;46:1757-1762.
- 2 Juneja R, Sune P, Kamble M, Subramanian P, Dulani S, Sune M An Unusual Case of Retinal Vasculitis and Neuroretinitis with Chronic Glomerulonephritis in Sytemic Lupus Erythematosus with Hughes Syndrome. The Internet Journal of Ophthalmology and Visual Science. 2012; 9(1): [about 2 pages]. Available from http://www.ispub.com/IJOVS/9/1/14338
- 3 Matthews B N, Erb N, Gordon C, Callear A B, Murray P I, Salmon M. Unilateral varicella zoster virus ophthalmicus and contralateral acute retinal necrosis. Eye 2002;16: 778–780.
- 4 Pavesio CE, Mitchell SM, Barton K, Schwartz S D, Towler H M A, Lightman S. Progressive outer retinal necrosis (PORN) in AIDS patients: a different appearance of varicella-zoster retinitis. Eye 1995; 9:271–6.
- 5 Moorthy R S, Weinberg D V, Teich S A, Berger B B, Minturn J T, Kumar S, et al. Management of varicella zoster virus retinitis in AIDS. Br J Ophthalmol 1997; 81:189–194