A RARE CASE OF SCRUB TYPHUS MASQUERADING AS BREAST ABSCESS
We are presenting a case of scrub typhus masquerading as breast abscess in a pregnant woman who attended to hospital with history of fever and breast tenderness. A high index of suspicion is necessary as it is rarely seen but easily treatable and without proper and timely treatment, serious complications may arise which carries high mortality rate. Scrub typhus during pregnancy is quite rare. The line of treatment of scrub typhus in pregnancy is also analysed.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Wayne X. Shandera, Ingrid l. Roig. Viral & Rickettsial infections. In: Maxine A. Papadakis, Stephen J. McPhee, editors. Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment, 52nded. USA: Mc Graw Hill Publishers;2013.p.1411-12
- 2 Vivekanandan M, Mani A, Priya YS, Singh AP, Jayakumar S, Purty S. Out Break of Scrub Typhus in Pondicherry. J Assoc Physician India 2010;58:24-28.
- 3 Vorapong Phupong. Pregnancy and Scrub typhus. J k Science 2010;12:85-7.
- 4 Berman SJ, Kundin WD. Scrub typhus in South Vietnam. A study of 87 cases. Ann Intern Med 1973;79:26–30.
- 5 Dong-Min Kim, Kyung Jun Won, Chi Young Park, Ki Dong Yu, Hyong Sun Kim, Tae Young Yang, et al. Distribution of Eschars on the body of Scrub typhus patients: A Prospective Study. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg 2006;75:955–959.
- 6 Kundavaram A P, Jonathan A J, Nathaniel S D, Varghese G M. Eschar in scrubtyphus: A valuable clue to the diagnosis. J Postgrad Med 2013;59:177-8.
- 7 Irons EN, Armstrong HE. Scrub typhus in Dutch New Guinea. Ann Intern 1947;26:201–220.
- 8 Briggs GG, Freeman RK, Yaffe SJ. Drugs in pregnancy and lactation. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2008. pp.345.
- 9 Mathai E, Rolain JM, Verghese L, et al. Case reports: scrub typhus during pregnancy in India. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 2003;97:570-72.
- 10 Chogle AR. Diagnosis and Treatment of Scrub Typhus–The Indian Scenario. J Assoc Physician India 2010;58:11-12.