KNOWLEDGE AND PREVALENCE OF DIABETES AND HYPERTENSION AMONG ADULTS IN SELECTED VILLAGES OF UDUPI DISTRICT - KARNATAKA
Objectives:to assess the prevalence and knowledge of diabetes and hypertension among adults and to find the association between knowledge level and variables.
Methods:Descriptive survey was conducted among adults in the selected villages of Udupi district during July 2009- July 2010. The study subjects were interviewed to collect the details with a questionnaire. Total 385 adults were selected by non- probability convenient sampling technique. Data were entered in SPSS11.5 version and analysed using descriptive and inferential statistics.
Results:Out of 385 adults, 27.8% of adults were females and 72.2% had their education up to primary level. Majority (82.2%) of the adults were having unskilled occupation and 96% of them had exposure to mass media. Majority (50.4%) of them had average knowledge on diabetes mellitus and prevalence was found to be only 5%. Majority (50.6%) of the sample had average level of knowledge about hypertension and the prevalence of hypertension was 19.5%. Result shows that there is no significant association between knowledge and selected variables.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 World Health Organization, Regional Office for South East Asia. Health Situation in South East Asia Region (1998-2000), Regional office for SEAR New Delhi, 2002. Available from: http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Health_Situation_book.pdf. [cited in 2002].
- 2 Kearney PM, Whelton M, Reynolds K, Muntner P, Whelton PK, He J. Global burden of hypertension: analysis of worldwide data. Lancet. In press
- 3 Zachariah MG, Thankappan KR, Alex SC, Sarma PS, Vasan RS. Prevalence, correlates, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension in a middle aged urban population in Kerala. Indian Heart J 2003; 55:245-51.
- 4 Jali MV, Kambar S. Prevalence of diabetes amongst the family members of known diabetics. International journal of diabetes in developing countries:26(2) 81-85, 2006
- 5 Vimala A, Ranji SA, Jyosna MT, Chandran V, Mathews SR, Pappachan JM. - The prevalence, risk factors and awareness of hypertension in an urban population of Kerala (South India). 2009; 20(4):685-89
- 6 Todkar SS, Gujarathi VV, Tapare VS. Period prevalence and sociodemographic factors of hypertension in rural Maharashtra: A crosssectional study. 2009; 34(3):184-87