UNILATERAL HIGH DIVISION OF BRACHIAL ARTERY: A CASE REPORT AND LITERATURE REVIEW
There are many articles reporting anomalies of various blood vessels of upper extremity. In the present article, we are reporting a case of high division of brachial artery into medial and lateral branches, 9.5 cm distal to the lower border of teres major muscle. It was also observed that the two branches are crossing over near the lower part of front of arm and the lateral branch continued into the cubital fossa and trifurcated at the proximal border of pronator teres muscle. We have discussed the anatomy, embryological basis, and clinical implications of these variations along with relevant literature review. The importance of knowledge about these variations in therapeutic and diagnostic interventions is discussed.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Standring S. Gray's anatomy: the anatomical basis of clinical practice. th In: Upper arm Chapter 50. Spain: 39th edn. 2006; pp. 856, Elsevier Churchill Livinstone, New York.
- 2 Romanes GJ. Cunningham's manual of practical anatomy. In: Upper th limb and lower limbs, Vol.1. 15th edn. 1999; pp. 82, Oxford University Press, New York.
- 3 Bergman RA, Thompson SA, Afifi AK, Saadeh FA. Compendium of human anatomic variation, 1988, Urban & Schwarzenberg, Baltimore
- 4 Shewale SN, Sukre SB, Diwan CV Bifurcation of brachial artery at its commencement: A case report. Biomedical Research. 2012; 23(3): p. 453-456.
- 5 Ozcan H, Oztekin PS, Zergeroglu AM, Ersöz G, Fiçicilar H, Ustüner E. Doppler ultrasound evaluation of the structural and hemodynamic changes in the brachial artery following two different exercise protocols. Diagn. Interv. Radiol. 2006; 12(2) p. 80-84.
- 6 Bidarkotimath S, Avadhani R, Kumar A. Primary pattern of arteries of upper limb with relevance to their variations. Int. J. Morphol. 2011; 29(4). p. 1422-1428.
- 7 Bidarkotimath S, Avadhani R, Kumar A, An anatomical study of primary pattern of arteries of upper limb with relevance to their variations. NUJHS. 2012; 2(1) p. 08-14.
- 8 Agrawal D, Singh N, Mohanty BB, Chinara PK. Variation in the branching pattern of axillary artery – a case report. Int J Anat Var. 2013; 6. p. 31–33.
- 9 Rodriguez-Baeza A, Nebot J, Ferreira B, Reina F, et al. An anatomical study and ontogenetic explanation of 23 cases with variations in the main pattern of the human brachio-antebrachial arteries. J Anat. 1995; 187 p. 473–479.
- 10 Patnaik, VVG, Kalsey G, Singlarajan K. Branching pattern of brachial artery-A Morphological Study. J Anat. Soc. India. 2002; 51(2). p. 176-186.
- 11 Kachlik D, Konarik M, Baca V. Vascular patterns of upper limb: an anatomical study with accent on superficial brachial artery. Bosnian journal of basic medical sciences. 2011; 11 (1). p. 4-10.
- 12 Arey LB. Developmental Anatomy. 6th ed. Philadelphia, WB. Saunders. 1957; p. 375-77.
- 13 Satyanarayan N, Sunita P, Sheikh MM, Devi SP. Brachial artery with high up division with its embryological basis and clinical significance. Int J Anat Var. 2010; 3. p. 56–58.
- 14 Hollinshed WH. Anatomy for Surgeons. Vol. 3. 1958; pp. 66–73, Hoeber and Harper Inc, New York,
- 15 Jurjus A, Sfeir R, Bezirdjian R. Unusual variation of the arterial pattern of the human upper limb. Anat Rec. 1986; 215. p. 82-83.
- 16 Treves FB, Rogers L. In: The upper extremity. Surgical applied anatomy. th 11 edn. 1947; pp. 230-31 Cassell & Co. Ltd. London
- 17 Madhyastha S, Nayak SR, Krishnamurthy A, D'Costa S, Jose AA, Bhat KMR. Case report of high origin of radial, ulnar, and profunda brachii arteries, its clinical implications and review of the literature. J Vasc Bras. 2009; 8. p. 374-78
- 18 Mitra B, Sadhu A, Meyur R, Sarkar S. High up division of brachial artery into laterally placed ulnar artery and medially placed radial artery. Int J Anat Var. 2013; 6. p. 64–65. 19. Teli C, Kate NN, Paarthipan N. High division and variation in brachial artery branching pattern. IOSR Journal of Dental Medical Sciences. 2013; 3(6). p. 68-70
- 20 Mehta V, Arora J, Suri RK, Rath G. Unilateral anomalous arterial pattern of human upper limb- Anatomical description and clinical implications. Sultan Qaboos University Medical Journal. July 2008; 8(2). p. 227-230
- 21 Singh H, Gupta N, Bargotra RN, Singh NP. Higher bifurcation of brachial artery with superficial course of radial artery in forearm: case report. JK Science. January-March 2010; 12(1); p. 39-40
- 22 Puspalatha M, Haq I. Bilateral high divisions of the brachial artery - a case report. Anatomica Karnataka. 2010; 4(1).p. 59-61
- 23 Rossi Junior WC, Esteves A, Simões JS, Fernandes GJM. Bilateral high division of the brachial artery in one human male cadaver: case report. J. Morphol. Sci. 2011; 28. p. 204-7.