GLENOID LABRAL CYST PRESENTING WITH SUPRASCAPULAR NERVE PALSY
Introduction: Glenoid labral cyst in shoulder is an entity akin to meniscal cysts in knee. It usually manifests with features similar to impingement syndrome or rotator cuff weakness.
Clinical Picture: A 42yr old male patient with complaints of left shoulder pain and restriction of movement for 2 months with muscle wasting in left supraspinatus and infraspinatus region. MRI left shoulder showed partial tear of supraspinatus tendon, glenoid labral cyst in closed proximity and causing compression to suprascapular nerve with atrophy of infraspinatus muscle.
Treatment: Left shoulder diagnostic arthroscopy was done and followed with ganglion excision done through a posterior approach and suprascapular nerve was decompressed. Histopathology report showed features of an inflammatory cystic lesion.
Outcome: patient experienced resolution of symptoms within 4 months of surgery with significant restoration of rotator function and bulk.
Conclusion: Suprascapular nerve compressive neuropathy secondary to glenoid labral cyst is a rare entity but easily recognizable on a MRI scan and responds quickly to decompression.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Bernard CS Lee, Muthukaruppan Yegappan, Palaniappan Thiagarajan. Suprascapular Nerve Neuropathy Secondary to Spinoglenoid Notch Ganglion Cyst, Ann Acad Med Singapore; December 2007, Vol. 36 No 1032-5
- 2 Chochole MH, Senker W, Meznik C, Breitenseher MJ. Glenoid-labral cyst entrapping the suprascapular nerve: dissolution after arthroscopic debridement of an extended SLAP lesion. PubMed, 1997 Dec;13(6):753-5
- 3 Kopell HP, Thompson WA. Pain and the frozen shoulder. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1959;109:92-6.
- 4 Aiello I, Serra G, Traina GC, Tugnoli V. Entrapment of the suprascapular nerve at the spinoglenoid notch. Ann Neurol 1982;12:314-6.
- 5 Ferretti A, Cerullo G, Russo GL. Suprascapular neuropathy in volleyball players. J Bone Joint Surg Am 1987;69:260-3.
- 6 Fehrman DA, Orwin JF, Jennings RM. Suprascapular nerve entrapment by ganglion cysts: a report of six cases with arthroscopic findings and review of the literature. Arthroscopy 1995;11:727-34.
- 7 Iannotti JP, Ramsey ML. Arthroscopic decompression of a ganglion cyst causing suprascapular nerve compression. Arthroscopy 1996;12:739-45.