DYSMENORRHOEA AMONG ADOLESCENT GIRLS - CHARACTERISTICS AND SYMPTOMS EXPERIENCED DURING MENSTRUATION
Background: Dysmenorrhoea, recurrent cramping lower abdominal pain is one of the common problems experienced by many adolescent girls. The prevalence of dysmenorrhoea among adolescent girls ranges from 60 to 83 percent and many adolescence reported limitation on daily activities.
Method: A descriptive survey was conducted among 233 adolescent girls in four residential schools of Udupi district, Karnataka to identify dysmenorrhoea, characteristics and associated symptoms.
Results: The prevalence of dysmenorrhoea in adolescent girls was found to be 146(62.70%). Out of 233 samples 28(12%) had mild pain, 77(33%) had moderate pain and 41(17.6%) had severe pain during menstruation. Tiredness 110(75.34%), back pain 106(72.60%) and irritability 97(66.43%) were the most common symptoms associated with dysmenorrhoea. A positive association was found between dysmenorrhoea and family history.
Conclusion: Dysmenorrhoea is a very common problem among adolescent girls and they experience a number of physical, gastrointestinal and psychological symptoms. The findings of this study indicate the magnitude of the problem and the need for appropriate intervention through a change in lifestyle.
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Agarwal K, Agarwal A. A study of dysmenorrhoea during menstruation in adolescent girls. Indian journal of community medicine.2010; 35(1):159-164.
- 2 Chantay B. Primary dysmenorrhoea in adolescence[Internet]. 2012 [updated 2012 August 28].Available from http://www.uptodate.com/contents/primary-dysmenorrhea-in-adolescents.
- 3 Elizabeth K. Social effects of menstrual pain for Turkish Teens [Internet].2010 [Cited2010September10]. Availablefromhttp://menstruationresearch.org/category/menstruation/dysmenorrhea/.
- 4 Santina T, Wehbe NF. Ziade. Exploring dysmenorrhoea and menstrual experiences among Lebanese female adolescents. Eastern Meditarranean journal.2012; 18(8):857-863.
- 5 George A. Incidence of dysmenorrhoea among adolescent girls of Karnataka, its relationship to selected factors and the effect of yoga on its management.[PhD Thesis]. Manipal: Manipal University;1998
- 6 Shrotriya C, Ray A, Sujoy R, George AT. Menstrual charachrestics, prevalence and effect of dysmenorrhoea on Quality of life of medical students. International journal of collaborative research on internal medicine and public health.2012; 4(4):275-295.
- 7 Manjula SP, Angadi MM. Menstrual pattern among adolescent girls in rural area of Bijapur. Al-Ameen. Journal of medical sciences.2013; 6(1):17-20.
- 8 Eman.M.Mohammed. Epidemology of dysmenorrheal among adolescent students in assuit city,Egypt.Life science journal.2012;9(1):348-353
- 9 Shabnam O, Khyrunnisa B.Charachrestics and determinants of dysmenorrhoea in young adults. American medical journal.2012; 3(1):8-13.