DIETARY SUPPLEMENTATION OF NATURAL AND SYNTHETIC PRODUCTS REDUCES ANXIETY IN MICE AGAINST ELECTRON BEAM RADIATION INDUCED OXIDATIVE STRESS
Background: Cortisol is a hormonal marker of stress which gets released into the blood by adrenal glands during a stressful situation. Mothers of children with autism will usually be experiencing great psychological trauma and therefore will be under high levels of stress. This stress might disturb the health and normal physiology of these mothers thus there is a need for study on the stress markers like cortisol in mothers of children with autism.
Materials and Methods: Saliva of 20 mothers of children with autism and 20 mothers of healthy children were collected during early hours of the day (8 – 8.30 am) and during evenings (4 – 4.15 pm) subjected for cortisol assay using ELISA test. RESULTS: Mothers of children with autism were found to have significantly lower levels of salivary cortisol throughout the day as compared to mothers of healthy children.
Conclusion: There is a need for interventions for mothers of children with autism
26 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Uma Devi P, Nagarathnam A, Sathish Rao BS. Introduction to radiation biology. B.I. Churchill Livingstone Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi. 2000.
- 2 Barry Halliwell. Reactive Oxygen Species and the Central Nervous System. Journal of Neurochemistry 1992;59:1609-1623.
- 3 Kjernised KD, Bleau P. Long-term goals in the management of acute and chronic anxiety disorders. Can J Psychiatry 2004;49(suppl1):51-65.
- 4 Medina JH, Viola H, Wolfman C, Marder M, Wasowski C, Calvo D, Paladini AC. Overview – Flavonoids a new family of benzodiazepine receptor ligands. Neurochem Res 1997;22:419-425
- 5 Rao VS, Rao A, Karanth KS. Anticonvulsant and Neurotoxicity Profile of Nardostachys jatamansi in Rats. Journal of Ethanopharmacology 2005;102:351-356.
- 6 Arora RB, Singh KP, Das PK, Mistry PN. Prolonged Hypotensive Effect of an Essential oil of N. jatamansi. Archives Internationales de Pharmacodynamieet de Therapie 1958;113:367-376.
- 7 Vinutha B, Prashanth D, Salma K, Sreeja SL, Pratiti D, Padmaja R, S. Radhika, A. Amit, K. Venkateshwralu, M. Deepak. Screening of Selected Indian Medicinal Plants for Acetylcholinesterase Inhibitory Activity. Journal of Ethnophamacology 2007;109:359-363.
- 8 Turan-Zitouni G, Kaplancikli ZA, Yildiz MT, Chevallet P, Kaya D. Synthesis and antimicrobial activity of 4-phenyl/cyclohexyl-5-(1-phenoxyethyl)- 3-[N-(2-thiazolyl) acetamido]thio-4H-1,2,4-triazole derivatives. Eur J Med Chem 2005;40:607-13.
- 9 Papakonstantinou-Garoufalias S, Pouli N, Marakos P, Chytyroglou-Ladas A. Synthesis antimicrobial and antifungal activity of some new 3-substituted derivatives of 4-(2,4-dichlorophenyl)-5-adamantyl-1H-1,2,4-triazole. Il Farmaco 2002;57:973-977.
- 10 Palaska E, Sahin G, Kelicen P, Durlu NT, Altinok G. Synthesis and antiinflammatory activity of 1- acylthiosemicarbazides, 1, 3, 4-oxadiazoles, 1, 3, 4-thiadiazoles and 1, 2,4-triazoles-3-thiones. Il Farmaco 2002;57:101-107.
- 11 Hashem AI, Youssef AS, Kandeel KA, Abou-Elmalgd WS. Conversion of some 2(3H)-furanones bearing a pyrazolyl group into other heterocyclic systems with a study of their antiviral activity. Eur J Med Chem. 2007;42:934-939.
- 12 Holla BS, Sarojini BK, Rao BS, Akberali PM, Suchetha Kumari N, Shetty V. Synthesis of some halogen-containing 1,2,4-triazolo-1,3,4- thiadiazines and their antibacterial and anticancer screening studies — Part I. Il Farmaco 2001;56:565–570.
- 13 Bekircan O, Kahveci B, Kucuk M. Synthesis and Anticancer Evaluation of Some New Unsymmetrical 3, 5-Diaryl-4H-1, 2, 4-Triazole Derivatives. Turk J Chem 2006;30:29-40.
- 14 Turan-Zitouni G, Kaplancikli ZA, Erol K, Kilic FS. Synthesis and analgesic activity of some triazole and triazolothiadiazines. Il Farmaco 1991:54:218-223.
- 15 Chen J, Sun XY, Chai KY, Lee JS, Song MS, Quan ZS. Synthesis and anticonvulsant evaluation of 4-(4-alkoxylphenyl)-3-ethyl-4H-1,2,4-triazoles as open- chain analogues of 7-al koxyl -4,5-dihydro[1,2,4]triazolo[4,3-a]quinolines. Bioorg Med Chem 2007;15:6775-6781.
- 16 Ried JR, Heindel ND. Improved synthesis of 5-substituted-4-amino-3-mercapto-(4H)-1, 2, 4-triazoles. J Heterocycl Chem 1976;13:925–926.
- 17 Yadav AV, Kawale LA, Nade VS. Effect of Morus alba L. (mulberry) leaves on anxiety in mice. Indian Journal of Pharmacol 2008;40:32-36.
- 18 Beuege JA and Aust SD. Microsomal Lipid Peroxidation. Methods in Enzymology 1978;30:302-10.
- 19 Prieto P, Pineda M. Spectrophotometric Quantitation of Antioxidant Capacity through the Formation of a Phosphomolybdenum Complex: Specific Application to the Determination of Vitamin E. Analytical Biochemistry 1991;269:337-341.
- 20 Aebi H. Catalase in vitro. Methods in Enzymology. (Colowick S.P, Kaplan N.O, ed) Acad. Press. Florida 1984;105:114-21.
- 21 Thomson L. clinical laboratory diagnostics. 1st ed. Frankfurt: TH-Books Verlags-gesellschaft., 1998;644-7.
- 22 Beaubrum G and Gray GE. A review of herbal medicines for psychiatric disorder. Psychiatr Serv 2000;51:1130-1134.
- 23 Ayoka AO, Akomolafe RO, Iwalewa EO' Ukponmwan OE. Studies on the anxiolytic effect of spondias mombin l. (anacardiaceae) extracts. Afr J Trad CAM 2005;2(2):153.
- 24 Dhananjaya DR, Vijay KS, Chandrashekar GP, Makhija IK, Shivakumara S. Anxiolytic activity of ethanolic extract of Trigonella foenumgraecum seeds. Archives of Applied Science Research 2011;3(1):91-95.
- 25 Avijit C, Amudha P, Geetha M, Surjit singh N. Evaluation of anxiolytic activity of methanolic extract of sapindus mukorossi gaertn in mice. International Journal of Pharma and Bio Sciences 2010;1(3):1-8.
- 26 Bhattacharya SK, Mitra SK. Anxiolytic activity of Panax ginseng roots: an experimental study. J Ethanopharmacol 1991;34(1):87-92.
- 27 Venugopal reddy P, Kshama D. Intrastrain variations in anxiolytic effect of Ni t razepam in mi ce. Indian J Phys iol Pharmacol 2006;50(3):309–312.
- 28 Xiuyan W, Jingyu Y, Chunfu W. Anxiolytic Effect of Baicalin in Mice. Asian Journal of Traditional Medicines 2006;1:3-4.
- 29 Jagetia GC, Baliga MS, Malagi KJ, Kamath MS. The Evaluation of the Radioprotective Effect of Triphala (an Ayurvedic rejuvenating drug) in the mice exposed to ?-radiation. Phytomedicine 2002;9:99-108.
- 30 Jagetia GC, Baliga MS. An Ayurvedic Herbal Drug Imparts Protection to the Mice against the lethal Effects of Gamma-radiation: a Preliminary Study. Nahrung 2002;46:332-6.
- 31 Lyle N, Bhattacharyya D, Sur TK, Munshi S, Paul S, Chatterjee S, Gomes A. Stress Modulating Antioxidant Effect of Nardostachys jatamansi. Indian Journal of Biochemistry and Biophysics 2009;46;93-98.