A RARE CAUSE OF URETHRAL OBSTRUCTION IN AN INFANT - CONGENITAL POSTERIOR URETHRAL POLYP
Urethral polyp is a rare finding in young children. These are congenital fibroepithelial benign polyp in the prostatic urethra. They present with acute or intermittent urinary obstruction, hematuria or voiding dysfunction. Their diagnosis requires a high index of suspicion because of variability in presentation. Diagnosis can be made by ultrasonography or micturating cystourethrogram, however cystourethroscopy is confirmatory. Transurethral resection is possible in almost all the cases and recurrence is almost unknown. We report a case of this rare lesion in a male infant with a severe phimosis.
24. April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Demircan M, Ceran C, Karaman A, Uguralp S, Mizrak B. Urethral polyps in children: a review of the literature and report of two cases. Int J Urol. 2006;13:841-3.
- 2 Tsuang W, Rapp DE, Feinstein KA, Orvieto MA, Close CE. Urethral polyp in asymptomatic male infant with prenatal hydronephrosis. Urology 2006;67:1085e9-e11.
- 3 Tsuzuki T, Epstein JI. Fibroepithelial polyp of the lower urinary tract in adults. Am J Surg Pathol 2005;29:460-6.
- 4 Jain P, Shah H, Parelkar SV, Borwankar SS. Posterior urethral polyps and review of literature. Indian J Urol 2007;23:206-7.
- 5 De Castro R, Campobasso P, Belloli G, Pavanello P. Solitary polyp of the posterior urethra in children: Report on seven cases. Eur J Pediatr Surg 1993;3:92-6.
- 6 Eziyi AK, Helmy TE, Sarhan OM, Eissa WM, Ghaly MA. Management of male urethral polyps in children: Experience with four cases. Afr J Paediatr Surg 2009;6:49-51
- 7 Casale AJ. Posterior urethral valves and other urethral anomalies. Wein AJ, Kavoussi LR, Novick AC, Partin AW, Peters CA, editors. Campbell's urology. Vol. 49th ed. W.B. Saunders; 2007. p. 3583-603
- 8 Gleason PE, Kramer SE. Genitourinary polyps in children. Urology 1994;44:106-109.