TYPE III CAWLEY ANDERSSON LESION IN A CASE OF ANKYLOSING SPONDYLITIS
Ankylosing spondylitis (AS) is a chronic inflammatory disease that affects especially males in the second and third decades of life.1
The main clinical symptom is inflammatory back pain typically occurring at night and morning stiffness improving after exercise.1
Apart from syndesmophytes and ankylosis of the spine resulting in rigidity, in longstanding ankylosing spondylitis, also focal destructive 1 discovertebral lesions (Andersson lesions) can occur.1
The case we present here is of a 35 year old male patient who presented to us with the symptoms of pain of upper back and both shoulders for 6 years. Pain was followed with stiffness of the neck and shoulder. Radiography of the dorsolumbar spine revealed squaring of the vertebra, syndesmophytes, calcification of the anterior spinal ligament, end plate irregularity at D10-D11 level, ill defined sclerosis with fracture of the ankylosed spine, features consistent with Andersson lesion type III. He underwent posterior spinal fusion with good functional outcome.
Keywords:Andersson Lesion - Ankylosing Spondylitis - Cawley classification - Spinal fusion - Dorsolumbar spine
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 De Vries MK, van Drumpt AS, van Royen BJ, van Denderen JC, Manoliu RA, van der Horst-Bruinsma IE. Discovertebral (Andersson) lesions in severe ankylosing spondylitis: a study using MRI and conventional radiography. Clin Rheumatol (2010) 29:1433–1438.
- 2 Rasker JJ, Prevo RL, Lanting PJ Spondylodiscitis in ankylosing spondylitis, inflammation or trauma? A description of six cases. Scand J Rheumatol 1996 25(1):52–57.
- 3 Cawley, Chalmers, Kellgren. Destructive lesions of vertebral bodies in ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis1972;31:345.
- 4 Bron JL, de Vries MK, Snieders MN, van der Horst-Bruinsma IE, van Royen BJ, Discovertebral (Andersson) lesions of the spine in ankylosing spondylitis revisited. Clin Rheumatol. 2009 Aug;28(8):883-92.
- 5 Wang G, Sun J, Jiang Z, Cui X. The surgical treatment of Andersson lesions associated with ankylosing spondylitis. Orthopedics. 2011 Jul 7;34(7):e302-6.
- 6 Park YS, Kim JH, Ryu JA, Kim TH. The Andersson lesion in ankylosing spondylitis: distinguishing between the inflammatory and traumatic subtypes. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2011 Jul;93(7):961-6.
- 7 Dhakad U and Das SK Andersson lesion in ankylosing spondylitis BMJ Case Rep. 2013, Apr 3;2013.