VARIATION IN HAEMOGLOBIN LEVELS DURING MENSTRUAL CYCLE
Context: A cyclic event occurs in women of reproductive age, called as menstrual cycle. During this, variation in levels of steroid sex hormones occurs that influences various organs of humans including haematopoiesis.
Aim: Assess the variation in levels of haemoglobin during the follicular and luteal phases of menstrual cycle.
Materials and Methods: Fifteen women were a part of this study. Heparinized whole blood samples were drawn during the follicular and luteal phases, and levels of haemoglobin recorded using colorimetric method. The data was subjected to statistical analysis.
Statistical analysis: Student t-test was used to analyse the values of haemoglobin levels obtained.
Conclusion: Statistically significant variation occurs in the levels of haemoglobin between the follicular and luteal phases of menstrual cycle.
24. April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Hall. Guyton and Hall Textbook of medical physiology. 12th Edition Saunders Elsevier publication.
- 2 Kim I, Yetley EA, and Calvo MS. Variation in iron-status measures during the menstrual cycle. Am J Clin Nutr 1993; 58:705-9.
- 3 Rushton DH, Dover R, Sainsbury AW, Norris MJ, Gilkes JJH, Ramsay ID Why should women have lower reference limits for haemoglobin and ferritin concentrations than men? BMJ 2001 June; 322:1355-7.
- 4 Silotry N, Nimmagadda HK, and Kumari R. A comparision of haemoglobin levels in women with and without premenstrual syndrome during premenstrual, menstrual and postmenstrual stages. Int J Biol Med Res. 2011; 2(4): 1017 – 1022.
- 5 Mangayarkarasi S. Biochemical changes in women during normal and menstruation periods. Asian J Chem 1999; 11(1):71-4.
- 6 Duport N, Preziosi P, Boutron-Ruault MC, Bertrais S, Galan P, Favier A, Lafond JL and Hercberget S. Consequences of iron depletion on health in menstruating women. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition ;57:1169–1175 Hallberg L, Hukthen L, and Garby L. Iron stores and haemoglobin iron deficits in menstruating women. Calculations based on variations in iron requirements and bioavailability of dietary iron. European Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2000; 54:650-7.
- 7 Javaid A, Hassan R and Naim T. A comparative study of body weight, haemoglobin concentration, and hematocrit during follicular and luteal phases of menstrual cycle. J. Med. Sci 2007; 7(1): 146-9.