A STUDY ON OCCURRENCE OF SOCIAL ANXIETY AMONG NURSING STUDENTS AND ITS CORRELATION WITH PROFESSIONAL ADJUSTMENT IN SELECTED NURSING INSTITUTIONS AT MANGALORE
The concept of social fear dates back as early as 400 B.C. Anxiety is a normal human response to stress. This study, conducted in selected nursing institutions of Mangalore, assessed the Social Anxiety and correlated it with Professional adjustment among nursing students. The tools used in the study were Social anxiety scale and a rating scale measuring Professional adjustment. 1000 students were selected by purposive sampling. The study findings revealed that 274(27.4%) of subjects have moderate social anxiety and 768(76.8%) having average professional adjustment. There was no significant correlation between social anxiety and professional adjustment. But, there was significant association between social anxiety and selected variables like gender and year of study.
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Airlin C. Prevalence of SAD. 1996 Available from URL: http://socialanxietydisorder.about.com/od/overviewofsad/a/history.htm.
- 2 Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment in Psychiatry. Social Phobias (2006). Available from URL: http://psychiatry.healthse.com/psy/more/social_phobias/
- 3 Russel G. Shaw S. Archieves of General Psychiatry, 2006. Available from URL: http://archpsyc.amaassn.org/cgi/content/abstract/64/8/903.
- 4 Cherian Varghese, Iepen and Lilly, 1998 “University students' adjustment problems” Psychological Reports, 82(3): Pp:1135-1138
- 5 Internet Journal of Mental Health. Shah.P, Kataria.L (2010). Social Phobia and its Impact on Indian university students. Available from URL: http://web.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail?hid=111
- 6 Dutta, M., Baratha, G. and Goswami, U., 1998, Social adjustment of adolescents. Ind. Psych. Rev., 50 (2) :Pp: 90-94.