NARROW BAND IMAGING-INSIGHT INTO THE INTERIORS
Narrow Band Imaging (NBI) is a recent method of imaging which can be used as an adjunctive diagnostic device along with standard diagnostic protocol. This technology will improve clinicians' ability to detect early changes in inflammatory and dysplastic tissues. Recently there has been a rapid progression in its use in patients with head and neck cancer. NBI system is based on the principle of producing blue light which penetrates less deeply into the tissues of precancerous and cancerous lesions when compared to that of conventional white light and thus helps clinicians' to get a much better view of superficial structures.
24. April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Truelove EL, Dean D, Maltby S, Griffith M, Huggins K, Griffith M, Taylor S. Narrow band (light) imaging of oral mucosa in routine dental patients. Part I: Assessment of value in detection of mucosal changes. Gen Dent 2011;8:281-289.
- 2 Watanabe A, Taniguchi M, Tsujie H, Hosokawa M, Fujita M, Sasaki S. The value of narrow band imaging endoscope for early head and neck cancers. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2008;138: 446-451.
- 3 Tan NCW, Herd KM, Brennan PA, Puxeddu R. The role of narrow band imaging in early detection of head and neck cancer. Brit J Oral Max Surg 2012;50:132–136.
- 4 Kara MA, Ennahachi M, Fockens P, Ten Kate FJW, Bergman JJGHM. Detection and classification of the mucosal and vascular patterns (mucosal morphology in Barrett's esophagus by using narrow band imaging. Gastrointest Endosc 2006;64:155–166.
- 5 Muto M, Katada C, Sano Y, Yoshida S. Narrow band imaging: a new diagnostic approach to visualize angiogenesis in superficial neoplasia. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol 2005;3:16–20.
- 6 Gono K, Obi T, Yamaguchi M, Ohyama N, Machida H, Sano Y, Yoshida S, Hamamoto Y, Endo T. Appearance of enhanced tissue features in narrow-band endoscopic imaging. J Biomed Opt 2004;9:568–77.
- 7 Takano JH, Yakushiji T, Kamiyama I, Nomura T, Katakura A, Takano N, Shibahara T. Detecting early oral cancer: narrowband imaging system observation of the oral mucosa microvasculature. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;39:208–213.
- 8 Uedo N, Ishihara R, Iishi H, Yamamoto S, Yamamoto S, Yamada T, Imanaka K, Takeuchi Y, Higashino K, Ishiguro S, Tatsuta M. A new method of diagnosing gastric intestinal metaplasia: narrow-band imaging with magnifying endoscopy. Endoscopy 2006;38:819–824.
- 9 Kara MA, Bergman JJGHM. Autofluorescence imaging and narrowband imaging for the detection of early neoplasia in patients with Barrett's esophagus. Endoscopy 2006;38:627-631.
- 10 Piazza C, Dessouky O, Peretti G, Cocco D, Benedetto LD, Nicolai P. Narrow-band imaging: a new tool for evaluation of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Review of the literature. Acta Otorhinolaryngol Ital 2008;28:49-54.
- 11 Johnstone S, Logan RM. The role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in oral dysplasia and oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncol 2006;42:337–342.
- 12 Tao X, Huang Y, Li R, Qing R, Ma L, Rhodus NL. Assessment of local angiogenesis and vascular endothelial growth factor in the patients with atrophic-erosive and reticular oral lichen planus. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;103:661–669.
- 13 Scardina GA, Picone V, Cacioppo A, Messina P. Study of microcirculation in oral lichen planus by video-capillaroscopy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;103:e30–34.
- 14 Watanabe A, Tsujie H, Taniguchi M, Hosokawa M, Fujita M, Sasaki S. Laryngoscopic detection of pharyngeal carcinoma in situ with narrow – band imaging. Laryngoscope 2006;116:650–4.
- 15 Katada C, Nakayama M, Tanabe S, Koizumi W, Masaki T, Takeda M, Okamoto M, Saigenji K. Narrow band imaging for detecting metachronous superficial oropharyngeal and hypopharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas after chemoradiotherapy for head and neck cancers. Laryngoscope 2008;118:1787–90.
- 16 Ugumori T, Muto M, Hayashi R, Hayashi T, Kishimoto S. Prospective study of early detection of pharyngeal superficial carcinoma with the narrowband imaging laryngoscope. Head Neck 2009;31:189–94.
- 17 Muto M, Minashi K, Yano T, Saito Y, Oda I, Nonaka S, Omori T, Sugiura H, Goda K, Kaise M, Inoue H, Ishikawa H, Ochiai A, Shimoda T, Watanabe H, Tajiri H, Saito D. Early detection of superficial squamous cell carcinoma in the head and neck region and esophagus by narrow band imaging: a multicenter randomized controlled trial. J Clin Oncol 2010;28:1566–72.
- 18 Katada C, Nakayama M, Tanabe S, Naruke A, Koizumi W, Masaki T, Okamoto M, Saigenji K. Narrow band imaging for detecting superficial oral squamous cell carcinoma: a report of two cases. Laryngoscope 2007;117:1596–9.
- 19 Tan NW, Mellor T, Brennan PA, Puxeddu R. Use of narrow band imaging guidance in the management of oral erythroleukoplakia. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg; 2010; doi:10.1016/j.bjoms.2010.09.001, [Epub ahead of print].
- 20 Piazza C, Cocco D, Del Bon F, Mangili S, Nicolai P, Majorana A, Bolzoni Villaret A, Peretti G. Narrow band imaging and high definition television in evaluation oforal and oropharyngeal squamous cell cancer: a prospective study. Oral Oncol 2010;46:307–10.
- 21 Katada C, Tanabe S, Koizumi W, Higuchi K, Sasaki T, Azuma M, Katada N, Masaki T, Nakayama M, Okamoto M, Muto M. Narrow band imaging for detecting superficial squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in patients with esophageal squamous cellcarcinoma. Endoscopy 2010;42:185–90.
- 22 Hayashi T, Muto M, Hayashi R, Minashi K, Yano T, Kishimoto S, Ebihara S. Usefulness of narrow-band imaging for detecting the primary tumor site in patients with primary unknown cervical lymph node metastasis. Jpn J Clin Oncol 2010;40:537–41.