TO COMPARE AND EVALUATE THE EFFICACY OF BIFLUORID 12, DIODE LASER AND THEIR COMBINED EFFECT IN TREATMENT OF DENTINAL HYPERSENSITIVITY - A CLINICAL STUDY
Background: To evaluate the immediate efficacy in the reduction of dentine hypersensitivity (DH) when applying an 808±10 nm diode laser (DL) with topical Bifluorid 12® (6%NaF and 6%CaF).
Materials and Methods: The study was conducted on 90 teeth with DH assessed by tactile and cold air stimuli measured by Numeric Rating Scale(NRS). Teeth were randomly divided into G1(30 teeth) treated by Bifluorid 12®; G2(30 teeth) lased at 0.5 W with continuous, noncontact mode with 400μ fibre. Each tooth received one application; G3(30 teeth) received Bifluorid 12® plus laser at same G2 th parameters. NRS was checked before starting the treatment and 15 to 30 mins after irradiating and on the 7 day.
Results: Significant pain reduction was seen. The NRS reduction percentages were calculated, and there was a significant decrease of DH in G3 than G2 and G1.
Conclusion: Diode laser is a useful device for DH treatment if used alone and in combination with Bifluorid 12®
29 June 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 C. R. Irwin and P. McCusker. Prevalence of dentine hypersensitivity in a general dental population, Journal of the Irish Dental Association 1997; 43: 7–9.
- 2 Holland, G. R. Narhi, M. N. Addy, M. Gangarosa, L & Orchardson. R. Guidelines for the design and conduct of clinical trials on dentine hypersensitivity, Journal of Clinical Periodontology 1997; 24:808–813.
- 3 Addy. M. Dentine hypersensitivity. New perspectives on an old problem, International Dental Journal 2002; 52:367–375.
- 4 D. H. Pashley. Dentin permeability and dentin sensitivity, Proceedings of the Finnish Dental Society 1992; 88:31–37.
- 5 L. P. Gangarosa. Current strategies for dentist-applied treatment in the management of hypersensitive dentine,Archives of Oral Biology 1994;39:101–106.
- 6 T. G. Wichgers and R. L. Emert. Dentin hypersensitivity, General Dentistry 1996; 44: 225–232.
- 7 P. J. Hsu, J. H. Chen, F. H. Chuang, and R. T. Roan. The combined occluding effects of fluoride-containing dentin desensitizer and Nd- YAG laser irradiation on human dentinal tubules: an in vitro study, Kaohsiung Journal of Medical Sciences 2006; 22:24–29.
- 8 Renton-Harper, P. & Midda, M. NdYAG laser treatment of dentinal hypersensitivity. British Dental Journal 1992; 172:13–16.
- 9 Kimura. Y, Wilder-Smith, P. Yonaga, K and Matsumoto. K. Treatment of dentine hypersensitivity by lasers: a review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2007; 27: 715–721.
- 10 Ladalardo. T. C, Pinheiro. A. Campos, R. A. Brugnera Junior A and Zanin.F. Laser therapy in the treatment of dentine hypersensitivity, Brazilian Dental Journal 2004; 15:144–150.
- 11 Karu. T. Photobiology of low-power laser effects,Health Physics 1989;56:691–704.
- 12 Launay. Y, Mordon.S, Cornil. A, Brunetaud.J. M. and Moschetto.Y. Thermal effects of lasers on dental tissues, Lasers in Surgery and Medicine 1987; 7:473–477.
- 13 Kimura. Y, Wilder-Smith, P. Yonaga, K and Matsumoto.K. Treatment of dentine hypersensitivity by lasers: a review. Journal of Clinical Periodontology 2000; 27:715–721.
- 14 K. Matsumoto, H. Tomonari, and H. Wakabayashi. Study on the treatment of hypersensitive dentine by laser, Journal of Conservative Dentistry 1985; 28:1366–1371.
- 15 C. A. Aun, A. Brugnera-J ´ unior, and R. G. Villa. Raio laser- Hipersensibilidade dentin´aria, Revista da APCD 1989; 43: 65–68.
- 16 M. Yamaguchi, M. Ito, T. Miwata,Horiba N,Matsumoto T and Nakamura H. Clinical study on the treatment of hypersensitive dentin by GaAlAs laser diode using the double blind test, Aichi Gakuin Daigaku Shigakkai shi 1990; 28: 703–707.
- 17 M. Kumazaki, K. Zennyu, M. Inoue, and B. Fujii. Clinical evaluation of GaAlAs-semiconductor laser in the treatment of hypersensitive dentin, Japanese Journal of Conservative Dentistry 1990:33; 911–918.