EFFECTIVENESS OF INTRA OPERATIVE HAND HOLDING ON ANXIETY AND PHYSIOLOGICAL PARAMETERS AMONG PATIENTS UNDERGOING CATARACT SURGERY
Introduction: Patients who are undergoing cataract surgery under local anaesthesia may be more stressed than those having general anaesthesia as they are awake during the surgical procedure. Therefore, psychological comfort in the preoperative phase and compliance during operation are very important for postoperative prognosis. This study explored the pre operative anxiety level of patients undergoing cataract surgery and the effectiveness of intra operative hand holding on anxiety and its related physiological parameters.
Methods: A quasi experimental pre-test post-test control group design was used to collect data from a purposive sample of 54 patients who were underwent cataract surgery at Kasturba Hospital, Manipal.
Results: Most of the patients in the experimental group perceived intra operative hand holding as a measure to reduce their anxiety even though there was no significant statistical difference in the immediate post operative anxiety score between the groups. It was also found that hand holding was effective in reducing blood pressure and heart rate except the respiratory rate of patients undergoing cataract surgery.
Conclusion: The following conclusions were drawn on the basis of the findings of the present study that is, Intra operative hand holding was effective in reducing the physiological parameters such as heart rate, systolic blood pressure and diastolic blood pressure. Also most of the patients perceived intra operative hand holding as beneficial in relieving anxiety.
24. April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Murthy GV, Gupta KS, John N, Vashist P. Current status of cataract blindness and Vision 2020: The right to sight initiative in India. Indian Journal of Ophthalmology 2008 Nov; 56(6):489–494
- 2 Vincent M. Drescher W, Horsley GM, William E. Heart Rate Response to Touch. Psychosom Med 1980 Nov; 42(6):559-65. Available from: http://www.psychosomaticmedicine.org/content/42/6/559.full.pdf
- 3 Lynch JJ. The simple act of touching. Nursing 1978;8(6):32-6.
- 4 Marback R, Temporini E, Kara Júnior N. Emotional factors prior to cataract surgery. Clinics 2007;62(4):433-8. Available from http://www.scielo.br/pdf/clin/v62n4/a10v62n4.pdf
- 5 Chaudhury S, Chakraborty PK,Gurunadh VS, Ratha P. Psychological reactions to cataract Surgery with intraocular lens implantation. Indian J Psychiat 1995; 37(4):165-168
- 6 Moon J S, Cho K S. The effects of hand holding on anxiety in cataract surgery patients under local anesthesia. Journal of advanced Nursing 2001;35(3):407-415 Available from http://www.scielo.br/pdf/clin/v62n4/a10v62n4.pdf
- 7 Tauqir MZ, Chaudhury TA, Mumtaz S, Ahmad K. Knowledge of patients' visual experience during cataract surgery: a survey of eye doctors in Karachi, Pakistan. BMC Ophthalmol 2012 Nov;12(1):55-57. Availble from: http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2415-12-55.pdf
- 8 Nijkamp MD, Kenens CA, DijkerA J, Ruiter RA, Hiddema F, Nuijts RM. Determinants of surgery related anxiety in cataract patients. Br J Ophthalmol 2004; 88:1310–1314. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1772346/pdf/bjo08801310.pdf
- 9 Morgan P. The effects of intra-operative hand holding during cataract surgery. Publication of archival library museum materials. State University Libraries of Florida 2007. Available from http://etd.lib.fsu.edu/theses/available/etd-04062007104228/unrestricted/pmm_thesis.pdf
- 10 Oh HJ, Park JS. Effects of Hand Massage and Hand Holding on the Anxiety in Patients with Local Infiltration Anesthesia. J Korean Acad Nurs. 2004 Oct; 34(6):924-933. Available from : http://www.koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?RID=1006JKAN/2004.34.6.924&DT=1
- 11 Mark M. Conscious surgery: influence of the environment on patient anxiety. JAN 2008 Nov; 64(3):261–271. Available from: http:// onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2648.2008.04769.x/pdf
- 12 Kim MS, Cho KS, Woo H, Kim JH. Effects of hand massage on anxiety in cataract surgery using local anesthesia. J Cataract Refract Surg. 2001 Jun;27(6):884-900. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11408136
- 13 Moeini M, Kahangi LS, Valiani M, Heshmat R. The effect of reflexotherapy on some of the patient's vital signs before CABG surgery. Iran J Nurs Midwifery Res 2011; 16(1): 24–28.
- 14 Astbury N.A hand to hold: communication during cataract surgery. Eye Journal 2004 18, 115–116. Available from: http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v18/n2/pdf/6700569a.pdf
- 15 Mokashi A, Leatherbarrow B, Kincey J, Slater R, Hillier V, Mayer S. Patient communication during cataract surgery. Eye 2004 Feb;18(2):147-51. Availble from:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov /pubmed/14762406