AN EDUCATIONAL INTERVENTION PROGRAMME ON DENGUE AND ITS PREVENTION AMONG RURAL HIGH SCHOOL CHILDREN, KARNATAKA, INDIA
Introduction: Over the past 10-15 years, next to diarrheal disease and respiratory infection, dengue fever has become a leading cause of hospitalization and deaths among childrens. Today, dengue fever is considered one of the most important arthropod-borne viral diseases in humans in terms of morbidity and mortality. So researcher felt that is is vital that school childrens should possess knowledge on some vector born diseases especially dengue fever and its prevention.
Method: In this study cross sectional descriptive survey was used. High school children were selected through probability simple random sampling. The data was collected using a pretested structured questionnaire. The Planned-teaching programme was administered at the end of the pre-test. The post-test was carried out after 7 days, using the same tool as the pre-test. The data was analysed using SPSS version 16 and the results expressed as proportions
Results: A total of 60 high school children were included in the study. Analysis of data revealed pre test knowledge score was 28.25%. Considering the level of knowledge of high school students, a planned teaching programme was administered. The post test knowledge score was 70.83%. Hence comparison in pre-test knowledge score and post-test percentage of dengue and its prevention was approximately 42.58%. A significant association between age and post test knowledge was found
Conclusion: A significant number of high school children had poor knowledge.So researcher felt that awareness programmes regarding dengue fever and its prevention. should be emphasized.
Keywords:Dengue fever - Planned teaching programme - Effectiveness - Knowledge - Rural high school children
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 K Park. Textbook of preventive and social medicine, 19 ed. Jabalpur: Banarasidas Bhanot Publishers; 2007. p 195
- 2 Kamalam S. Essentials in Community Health Nursing Practice, 1 edition. India: Jaypee brothers medical publishers; 2007.p 6
- 3 Dengue fever. Available at.URL:http://www.en.wikipedia.org/rdwiki/Dengue_Fever. Accessed feb 23 2013
- 4 Cente for disease control and prevention. Available at URL: http://www.cdc.gov/dengue. Accessed feb 3 2013
- 5 Ibrahim NK, Al-Bar A, Kordey M, Al-Fakeeh.A. Knowledge, attitudes, and practices relating to Dengue fever among females in Jeddah high schools. J Infect public Health. 2009; 2(1):30-40
- 6 Yarrow L, Remig VM, Higgins MM. Food safety educational intervention positively influences college students, food safety attitude, beliefs, knowledge and self reported practices. J Environ Health. 2009, jan-feb;71(6):30-5