IMPACT OF A NOVEL METHOD OF TEACHING ANATOMY OF THE MALE PERINEUM ON THE UNDERGRADUATE MEDICAL STUDENTS
It is indeed a challenge to teach the cadaveric anatomy of the perineum to the undergraduate medical students. The anatomy teacher often fails to make the student understand the exact arrangement and attachments of the fasciae in the perineum in spite of his/her best attempts in the dissection hall and lecture classes. We prepared a video to demonstrate the arrangements of fasciae in the male perineum. The video had a combination of clips of cadaveric dissection, diagrams drawn on a blackboard and the demonstration of the arrangement of fasciae using a simple cloth model. The video was shown to students after they had the routine dissection and lecture classes about the perineum. There was a significant difference between the pre and post test scores. The opinion survey also indicated that the video was very effective.
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Beyersdorff D, Schiemann T, Taupitz M, Kooijman H, Hamm B, Nicolas V.2001. Sectional depiction of the pelvic floor by CT, MR imaging and sheetplastination: Computer-aided correlation and 3D model. EurRadiol 11:659–664.
- 2 Garg AX, Norman G, Sperotable L. 2001. How medical students learn spatial anatomy. Lancet 357:363–364.
- 3 Hartsell T, Yuen S. Video streaming in online learning. Association for the Advancement of Computing (AACE) Journal.2006; 14(1):31-43.
- 4 Health C, Luff P, Sanchez M. Video and qualitative research: analyzing medical practice and interaction. Medical Education. 2007; 41:109- 116
- 5 Mahmud W, Hyder O, Butt J, Aftab A. Dissection Videos Do Not Improve Anatomy Examination Scores AnatSciEduc 4:16–21 (2011)
- 6 Patel KM, Moxham BJ. 2008. The relationships between learning outcomesand methods of teaching anatomy as perceived by professional anatomists.ClinAnat 21:182–189.
- 7 Pereira JA, Merı´ A, Masdeu C, Molina-Toma´ s MC, Martı´nez-Carrio´ A. 2004.Using video clips to improve theoretical anatomy teaching. Eur J Anat 8:143–146.
- 8 Romanes GJ, Cunningham's Manual of practical Natomy; Volume Two, th Thorax and Abdomen, 15 Edition Oxford University press: p/199; 2000.
- 9 Sahu DR, Supe AN. The art and science of presentation: 35-mm slides. J Postgrad Med. 2000;46:280–285.
- 10 Sergovich A, Johnson M, Wilson T D. Explorable Three-Dimensional Digital Model of theFemalePelvis, Pelvic Contents, and Perineum for Anatomical Education; AnatSciEduc 3:127–133 (2010)
- 11 Seth V, Upadhyaya P, Ahmad M, MogheV.PowerPoint or chalk and talk: Perceptions of medical students versus dental students in a medical college in India. Advances in Medical Education and Practice 2010:1 11–16
- 12 Snell RS, Clinical Anatomy by Regions; 8 Edition Lippincott Williams and Wilkins: p/388-401;2008
- 13 Winkelmann A. 2007. Anatomical dissection as a teaching method in medical school: A review of the evidence. Med Educ 41:15–22.