A COMPARATIVE STUDY TO ASSESS THE KNOWLEDGE AND ATTITUDE BETWEEN POSTGRADUATE NURSING STUDENTS AND LLB STUDENTS REGARDING EUTHANASIA IN SELECTED COLLEGES OF UDUPI DISTRICT
The concept of euthanasia is based on the philosophy of humanism and compassion. It recognizes the autonomy of an individual, freedom of choice to live or die with dignity. It is a very sensitive issue that polarized the world. Euthanasia is one of the most perplexing issues which the world faces today.
In this study, the knowledge of postgraduate nursing students and LLB students was assessed by using structured knowledge questionnaire and attitude by attitude scale. The findings of the study revealed that out of 40 postgraduate nursing students, 57.5% were Christians, 35% were Hindus and 7.5% were belonged to other religious groups. Among the LLB students 85% were Hindus, 12.5% were Muslims and 2.5% were Christians. Among the postgraduate nursing students, 80% were females and among LLB students, 60% were females. The result also showed that, 62.5% of the nursing and LLB students had good knowledge and 65% of the nursing students and 57.5% of the LLB students were favouring euthanasia respectively. There was no significant difference between knowledge of nursing students and LLB students.
24. April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Markanday K, Gyan SM. Aruna Shanbag vs union of India; March 7- 2011. Available from htpp://www.indiankanoon.com.
- 2 Nitschke P, Stewart F. The peaceful pill handbook; exit international US: July 2007:
- 3 Inghelbrecht E, Bilsen J, Mortier F, Deliens L. Attitudes of nurses towards euthanasia and towards their role in euthanasia: A nationwide study in Flanders, Belgium, International journal of nursing studies; September 2009; 46(9): 1209-18.
- 4 Biondo CA, Silva MJ, Secoo LM. Dysthanasia, euthanasia, othotanasia: the perception of nurses wrking in intensive care units and care implications.
- 5 Available from htpp://www.unboundmedicine.com/medline/citation.