SERUM ANTIBODY ANALYSIS FOLLOWING HEPATITIS B VACCINATION FOR OCCUPATIONAL RISK ASSESSMENT AMONG DENTAL STUDENTS
Background & Objectives: Hepatitis B is the most important infectious occupational disease for the health care workers. Dental surgeons are frequently in contact with blood and saliva and hence are at high risk for Hepatitis B Virus (HBV) exposure. HBV infection is a major public health problem in India, as there are 45 million estimated carriers. Immunization against HBV reduces the risk of transmission of HBV to dental personnel and from dental personnel to patients. The present study was aimed to evaluate the serum levels of anti-HBs in vaccinated dental health care workers.
Methods: In this study, estimation of serum levels of Anti- HBs in 40 dental students vaccinated against HBV was done. Data was obtained regarding vaccination data, age, sex, weight, height and smoking history. Anti-HBs level was evaluated two years after the 1st dose of vaccination. Low responders were given booster vaccination and post booster anti HBs assay was done.
Results: The study included 110 hepatitis B vaccinated dental students. Out of 110 students only 40 students had documented history of complete vaccination and volunteered to be a part of the study. Among these 40 students, three students (7.5%) had less than 100 IU/L anti–HBs level and 37 students (92.5%) had more than 100 IU/L anti–HBs level. Anti- HBS level above 100 IU/L is identified to be protective. Following booster vaccination, low responders showed anti -HBs titre more than 100 IU/L.
Conclusion: In this study majority dental students had desirable immune response to the HBV vaccine. Male gender and positive smoking history could have attributed to low anti-HBs titre in subjects who had inadequate levels in our study. Hence, all Health Care Workers, in particular dental surgeons with contributory factors like smoking habit, male gender should undergo periodic assessment of anti-HBs titre.
24 April 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Park K. Park's Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine. 19th ed. Jabalapur (India) : M/S Banarsidas Bhanot Publishers; 2007. p. 1-45.
- 2 Quaranta P. Immunizations and oral health care providers. Dent Clin N Am 2003; 47: 641–664.
- 3 Lai CL, Ratziu V, Yuen MF, Poynard T. Viral hepatitis B. Lancet 2003;362:2089-2094.
- 4 Kao JH, Chenn DS. Hepatitis B vaccination: to boost or not to boost? Lancet 2005; 366: 1337-1338.
- 5 Ananthanarayan R, Paniker CKJ. Textbook of microbiology. 6th ed. Orient Longman Limited; 2000.p. 507-520.
- 6 Cottone JA, Puttaiah R. Hepatitis B virus infection current status in dentistry. Dental Clinics of North America 1996; 40(2):293-307.
- 7 Oliveira PMC, Silva AE, Kemp VL, Juliano Y, Ferraz ML. Comparison of three different schedules of vaccination against hepatitis B in health care workers. Vaccine 1995; 13:791- 794.
- 8 Nakao K, Hamasaki K, Wakihama N, Maeda M, Ohtsubo N, Sagike T et al. Analysis of anti-HBs levels in health care workers over 10 Years following booster vaccination for hepatitis B virus. Vaccine 2003; 21:3789-3794.
- 9 Bonanni P, Bonaccorsi G. Vaccination against hepatitis B in health care workers. Vaccine 2001; 19: 2389–2394.
- 10 Quaranta P. Immunizations and oral health care providers. Dent Clin N Am 2003; 47: 641–664.
- 11 Saberifiroozi M, Gholamzadeh S, Serati AR. The long term immunity among health care workers vaccinated against hepatitis B virus in a large referral hospital in southern Iran. Arch Iranian Med 2006; 9 (3):204-207.
- 12 Mosely JW, Edwards VM, Casey G, Redeker AG, White E. Hepatitis B virus infection in dentists. N Engl J Med 1975; 293:729-734.
- 13 Goldstein J, Morse K, Gullen W, Augusta . Epidemiology of Hepatitis B Among Endodontists. Journal of Endodontic 1978; 4(11): 336-339.
- 14 Hurlen B, Iversen SB. Viral hepatitis in oral surgery and periodontics in Norway. Int. J. Oral Surg. 1979: 8: 443-448.
- 15 Gob KT, Ghan YW, Wong LYM, Kong KH, Oon CJ and Guan R. The prevalence of hepatitis B virus markers in dental personnel in Singapore. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 1988; 82: 908-910.
- 16 Moola MH, Samaranayake LP, Cleophas WE. Seroprevelenve of hepatitis B surface antibody in South African dental personnel. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol 1992 ;73:304-6.
- 17 Goldstein J, Morse K, Gullen W, Augusta . Epidemiology of Hepatitis B Among Endodontists. Journal of Endodontic 1978; 4(11): 336-339.
- 18 Rao MN, Joshi N, Habibullah CM. Immunogenicity of a low dose of indigenously developed recombinant hepatitis B vaccine in neonates and infants. Indian Pediatrics 1999; 36:581-583.
- 19 Chen HL, Chang MH, Ni YH, Hsu HY, Lee PI, Lee CY et al. Seroepidemiology of hepatitis B virus infection in children. JAMA 1996; 276:906-908.
- 20 Nommensen FE, Go ST, Maclaren DM. Half life of HBs antibody after hepatitis B vaccination:an aid to timing of booster vaccination. Lancet 1989; 847-849.
- 21 Gesemann M, Scheiermann N. Quantification of hepatitis B vaccineinduced antibodies as a predictor of anti-HBs persistence. Vaccine 1995; 13; 5:443-447.
- 22 Roome AJ, Walsh SJ, Cartter ML, Hadler JL. Hepatitis B vaccine responsiveness in Connecticut public safety personnel. JAMA1993; 270; 24:2931-2934.
- 23 Hadler SC, Francis DP, Maynard JE, Thompson SE, Judson FN, Echenberg DF. Long term immunogenicity and efficacy of hepatitis B vaccine in homosexual men. The Journal of New England Medicine1986; 315:209-214.
- 24 Jilg W, Schmidt M, Deinhardt F, Zachoval R. Hepatitis B vaccination: How long does protection last? Lancet 1984; ii: 458.
- 25 Ambrosch F, Wiedermann G, Kundi M, Roels GL, Desombere I, Garcon N et al . A hepatitis B vaccine formulated with a novel adjuvant system. Vaccine 2000; 18:2095-2101.
- 26 Larke RPB, Bouchard SA, Buchner BK, Derrick JB, McSheffrey JB, Vas SI. Hepatitis B and the dental profession: response to hepatitis B vaccine in Canadian dental personnel A study by the Canadian Red Cross Collaborative Group. Journal of Infection I983; 7: 27-33.
- 27 Wismans PJ, Hattum J V, Mudde GC, Endeman HJ, Poel J, de Gast GC. Is booster injection with hepatitis B vaccine necessary in healthy responders? A study of immune response. Journal of Hepatology; 1989:236-240.
- 28 Zanetti AR, Tanzi E, Pozzi A, Romano L , Bergamini F. Yeast-derived hepatitis B vaccine in dental students. A three-year follow-up study. Vaccine 1990; 8: 205-208.
- 29 Larke RPB, Bouchard SA, Buchner BK, Derrick JB, McSheffrey JB, Vas SI. Hepatitis B and the dental profession: response to hepatitis B vaccine in Canadian dental personnel A study by the Canadian Red Cross Collaborative Group. Journal of Infection I983; 7: 27-33.
- 30 Winter AP, Follett EAC, McIntyre J, Stewart J, Symington IS. Influence of smoking on immunological responses to hepatitis B vaccine. Vaccine 1994; 12:771-772.
- 31 Averhoff F, Mahoney F, Coleman P, Schatz G, Hurwitz E, Margolis H. Immunogenicity of hepatitis B vaccines implications for persons at occupational risk of hepatitis B virus infection. Am J Prev Med 1998; 15:1–8.
- 32 Yu AS, Cheung RC, Keeffe EB. Hepatitis B vaccines. Infect Dis Clin N Am 2006; 20:27-45.
- 33 Roome AJ, Walsh SJ, Cartter ML, Hadler JL. Hepatitis B vaccine responsiveness in Connecticut public safety personnel. JAMA1993; 270; 24:2931-2934.
- 34 West DJ, Calandra GB. Vaccine induced immunologic memory for hepatitis B surface antigen: implications for policy on booster vaccination. Vaccine 1996; 14:1019-1027.
- 35 Assad S, Francis A. Over a decade of experience with a yeast recombinant hepatitis B vaccine. Vaccine 2000; 18: 57-67.
- 36 Abdolsamadi HR, Vaziri BP, Abdollahzadeh SH, Kashani KHM, Vahedi M. Immune Response to Hepatitis B Vaccine among Dental Students. Iranian J Publ Health 2009; 38(2): 113-118.
- 37 Williams JL, Christensen CJ , McMahon BJ , Bulkow LR, Cagle HH , Mayers JS et al . Evaluation of the response to a booster dose of hepatitis B vaccine in previously immunized healthcare workers. Vaccine 2001;19:4081–4085
- 38 Gabbuti A, Romano L, Blanc P, Meacci F, Amendola A, Mele A et al. Long-term immunogenicity of hepatitis B vaccination in a cohort of Italian healthy adolescents. Vaccine 2007; 20: 3129-3132.
- 39 Hassan S, Ziba F. Antibody titer in Iranian children 6 years after hepatitis B vaccine administration. Vaccine 2007; 25(17):3511-4.
- 40 McMahon BJ, Bruden DL, Peterson KM, Bulkow LR, Parkison AJ, Nainan O et al. Antibody levels and protection after Hepatitis B Vaccination: Results of a 15 year follow-up. Ann Intern Med 2005; 142:333-341.
- 41 Jilg W, Schmidt M, Deinhardt F, Zachoval R. Hepatitis B vaccination: How long does protection last? Lancet 1984; ii: 458.
- 42 Lin Y-C, Chang M-H, Ni Y-H, Hsu H-Y, Chen D-S. Long-term immunogenicity and efficacy of universal hepatitis B virus vaccination in Taiwan. JID 2003; 187:134-8.
- 43 Wood RC, MacDonald KL, White KE, Hedberg CW, Hanson M, Osterholm MT. Risk factors for lack of detectable antibody following hepatitis B vaccination of Minnesota health care workers. JAMA 1993; 270:2935-2039.
- 44 Abdolsamadi HR, Vaziri BP, Abdollahzadeh SH, Kashani KHM, Vahedi M. Immune Response to Hepatitis B Vaccine among Dental Students. Iranian J Publ Health 2009; 38(2): 113-118
- 45 Lunn JA. Hepatitis B vaccination. BMJ 1993; 307:732.
- 46 European Consensus Group on Hepatitis B immunity. Are booster immunizations needed for lifelong hepatitis B immunity? Lancet 2000; 355: 561-565.
- 47 Barash C, Conn MI, DiMarino AJ, Marzano J, Aallen ML. Serologic hepatitis B immunity in vaccinated health care workers. Arch Intern Med 1999; 159:1481-1483.