STATUS OF LIPID PEROXIDATION AND TOTAL ANTIOXIDANT CAPACITY IN REGULAR VOLUNTARY BLOOD DONORS
Oxygen free radicals and products of oxidative cell damage are known as biomarkers that escalate in the pathophysiology of many diseases. The aim of this study is to evaluate association between blood donation and total antioxidant capacity and lipid peroxidation product malondialdehyde(MDA). The levels of MDA and total antioxidant capacity(TAC) were studied in serum of 90 male voluntary blood donors aged from 20 to 45 years attending K. S. Hegde charitable hospital, Blood bank, for determination of lipid peroxidation and antioxidant status, respectively. The donors were divided into nine groups depending on number of blood donation. With increase in number of blood donation the serum MDA level were significantly reduced (p>0.01) but total antioxidant activity was significantly increased (p>0.01). High frequency of blood donors had evidence of decreased lipid peroxidation and enhanced activity of total antioxidants when compared with low frequency blood donors. which can be considered as one of the fringe benefits of regular blood donation.
04 May 2020 (online)
Thieme Medical and Scientific Publishers Private Ltd.
A-12, Second Floor, Sector -2, NOIDA -201301, India
- 1 Abdoljalal M. Alterations in plasma lipid peroxidation and total antioxidant status during storage of blood. Pak J Biol Sciences 2006;9(13):2520-23.
- 2 Mehrabani M, Djalali M, Sadeghi MR, Hajibeigi B, Zeraati H, Fatehi F et al. Association between blood donation frequency, antioxidant enzymes and lipid peroxidation. Acta Medica Iranica. 2008;46(5):361-65.
- 3 Boaz M, Matas Z, Biro et al. Comparison of hemostatic factors and serum malondialdehyde as predictive factors of cardiovascular disease in hemodialysis patients. Am J Kidney Dis; 34:438-44.
- 4 Kohen R, Chevion S, Schartz R, Berry EM. Evaluation of the total low molecular weight antioxidant activity of plasma in health and disease: A new approach. Cell Pharmacol. 1996;3:355-59.
- 5 Lewin G, Popov I. The antioxidant system of organism. Theoretical basis and practical consequences. Med Hypotheses. 1994;42:269-75
- 6 Zweier JL, Broderick R, Kuppuswamy P, Thompson GS, Lutty GA. Determination of the mechanism of free radical generation in human aortic endothelial cells exposed to anoxia and reoxygenation. J Biol Chem. 1994;269(39):24156-62.
- 7 Ammala C, Eliasson L, Bokvist K, Larsson O, Ashcroft FM, Rorsman P. Exocytosis elicited by action potentials and voltage-clamp calcium currents in individual mouse pancreatic B-cells. J Physiol. 1993;472:665-88.
- 8 Yesilbursa D, Serdar Z, Serdar A, Dirican M, Gemici K, Ozdemir A, Turel B, Cordan J. The relationship of serum ferritin with malondialdehyde concentration in patients with coronary artery disease: Ferritin and oxidative stressin CAD. International Journal of Angiology. 2001;10(2):88-91.
- 9 Romila M, Neelam M, Sabita B, Harsh M, Ravikumar A. Evaluation of iron stores in blood donors by serum ferritin. Indian J Med Res 2006;124:641-46.
- 10 S B Kwa. The effect of repeated blood donation on the haemoglobin, haematocrit and serum iron values of regular blood donors. Singapore medical journal 1969;10(3):139-47.
- 11 Abdullah SM. The effect of repeated blood donations on the iron status of male Saudi blood donors. Blood Transfus 2011;9(2):67-71.